What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all!

I have a feeling that I am just doing one thing wrong that my sundew does not like, however I am not sure what it is. To give you some background, about 7 years ago I used to own multiple sundews, Drosera Capensis Albinos and Pygmys, as well as a couple of different Nepenthes and Venus Fly traps. Unfortunately I had to give them away due to school and financial restraints, but now I am trying to get back into it.

Anyways I have purchased a single Drosera Capensis, along with a nepenthes, and am currently growing them indoors under a flourescent plant light with the tray watering method. I know about using the right type of water and soil, but I am afraid I am missing out on something and that it will not last another month due to my unknown mistreatment. I have been keeping the temperature around 75degrees during the day, and it drops to between 65 and 70 at night. The humidity levels are maintained at around 70% during the day, and at night go up to around 85%. I am using a single grow bulb, about 12 inches above the plant, which is on a 15 hour timer.

The sundew's leaves are all wilting outwards, with some of them browning, and the majority of the new leaves have a very small amount of dew. I have owned the plant now for just over a month, having bought it from California Carnivores (I drove to pick it up, it was not shipped).

I have posted a link to Photobucket with two pictures, one of the setup and one of the plant close-up. This is my first post on the website, I hope posting links is allowed since I was unable to upload pictures directly to the forum.

(I realize the terrarium is overly large, I plan on filling it more once I get the funds/time)

http://s854.photobucket.com/user/kcross6/library/Drosera Capensis?sort=3&page=1

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or need any information. Thank you so much!

Kevin

The Drosera capensis looks reasonably healthy to me. Older leaves browning could just be from age and getting a little bruised and beat up when transporting. Raising both plants closer to the lights would probably help. Put them on some upside down pots or something. How many lights do you have and what wattage? The D. capensis doesn't really need to be in a tank, they don't care for lowland conditions in the long run. Maybe not the Nepenthes either depending on the species/hybrid.

The main two issues I am worried about with the Drosera C. are the fact that the leaves are all 'wilting' downwards and outwards, and there is a fairly significant lack of dew. When I try to stick on a small fly/spider, it barely sticks. I only have one light, am working on purchasing a second, it is a 32w T8 bulb. I have heard different opinions on whether 2 bulbs is enough, or if I should go for four. Could it simply be that it is not getting enough light in the large/deep tank? The Nepenthes is a Spectabilis x Aristolochioides hybrid - I was told by the store that it should be grown indoors in a terrarium for where I live (SJ, Cali) because of the fairly cool/colder winters. They also told me that the Drosera C. would be fine in the same conditions, as most sundews can handle an extremely large range of living conditions.

*Edit - And thanks so much for the help!

Dumb question: What water are you using?

I am using a single grow bulb, about 12 inches above the plant, which is on a 15 hour timer.

Nowhere near enough light for a species that appreciates full sun exposure. A single bulb placed at a distance of 12" isn't going to be enough light by a long shot; I suspect this is why your plant looks unhappy. More light, sir!

Yes, more light usually the better. Move them closer to the light for now. You can move the further away later. You're lucky to live within a reasonable driving distance of a wonderful CP nursery. And don't forget the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society meetings. There are a few growers in the San Jose Area.

Welcome to TerraForums.

I agree. Floppy leaves and little dew are caused by too little light. I would recommend you get two, two bulb t-8 fixtures (a total of 4 bulbs).

Oh, and don't worry about buying "grow bulbs", as you said you are using. They are expensive and unnecessary. A 50/50 mix of normal residential 'warm white' and 'cool white' bulbs provides a good light spectrum. The plants will still grow great and you'll save money ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Light-4lamps-DL824-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B009GU4RMC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_3
I just got this guy. It comes with four 6500k lights, I should probably grab two 3000k to switch out? Or two 4200k? And thanks for all of the responses! Part of the problem was they were in a much smaller tank, and the T8 was putting out a ton of heat. 85+ degree temperature averages. I thought the distance was the problem, and too much light, now I just realize I need less heat and even more light. And the grow bulb is leftover from my old setup. I also surrounded all of the sides with tinfoil, which will work for now until I can afford the better stuff (Blanking on the name).

One last question if you don't mind! I have heard mixed reviews about whether a small fan and/or air circulation is needed? Or stagnant air is okay? I am having no mold issues or anything, and I do take the top off 1-2x per week and completely fan out the air and re-humidify it so not to have those problems. But I've seen some super nice setups with fans and such.

Thank you ! ! !

:boogie:

Yes, more light usually the better. Move them closer to the light for now. You can move the further away later. You're lucky to live within a reasonable driving distance of a wonderful CP nursery. And don't forget the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society meetings. There are a few growers in the San Jose Area.

Welcome to TerraForums.

I put them on a large bowl. And I had no idea about the meetings! Looking them up right now. I feel very welcomed, thanks!

hey Sir, if you don't mind can you give us an update on how the lights are working out? i am also looking for indoor lighting and have heard of this ones. Would really appreciate your insight and result, thanks.

Back