What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a flower on one of the plants in the pot labeled D. tokaiensis x sp. Lantau Island. However, I'm thinking this guy isn't a cross

The other one that sprouted, however (but hasn't flowered yet) definitely looks like success however

By the way, quick update on the D. tokaiensis x 'Tamlin': turns out the cross is semi-fertile, as a small portion of the seeds it produced actually sprouted. Mind you, compared to a normal flower stalk which would produce a couple thousand seeds, this one only produced around 50 from two, and so far about 5 have sprouted, so it is for the most part a non=reproductive plant, with rare exceptions.

Wow!
This makes me want to try hybridizing sundews..
The tokaiensis X 'Tamiln' looks like an excellent cross.

My only question is how do you manage to catch the flowers open
Whenever I have sundews bloom, I never get to see them open, only closed...

It is an excellent cross, and the biggest of the three too, at over 3" across. Strange, since you'd think the one with 'Tamlin' as the mother would be bigger....

Flowers tend to open for me relatively early in the morning, about an hour after my lights turn on or at about 7:00 am, and stay open, depending on the species, for about two to 5 hours. Sp. Lantau Island keeps its flowers open almost all day, and the 'Tamlin' often opens late, so it's just a matter of timing. Always the best chance is usually about mid morning for me though, and if you want open flowers, the lighting needs to be strong enough to make them open.

Also, quick note, later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be posting photos of #4, D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm." A lot of similar crosses, I know, but each is interesting in its own way....

Also, quick note, later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be posting photos of #4, D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm." A lot of similar crosses, I know, but each is interesting in its own way....

'Looking forward to it. I'm really enjoying what you are doing and posting.

Alright, here's the pics! D. spatulata "white flower" x "capillaris Long Arm"

And here are the two hybrids next to a plant of the spat white flower that came up with them. You can see leaf shape, size, and to an extent, color changes

A big difference between those two. The leaves are quite different. The hybrid looks bigger, though it's hard to tell being as there are two of them. They definitely have longer petioles. Are all 3 plants about the same age? Have you seen much variation in the plants produced from the same seed sources?

Last edited:
They are all the same age, as they came from the same sowing of seeds, and the hybrids are certainly on a tendency to be bigger than the parents in most of the crosses. As for variation, only in growth speed, really, as some get massive in only a couple of months, and others still have yet to reach anything near a flowering size. Hybrids of the same kind all tend to turn out rather similar, so the crossings are consistent. That may change with the crosses involving more odd species, like madagascariensis or affinis (heads up for later posts :D ).

Thanks for the reply. Again, I'm looking forward to it.

WOO HOO! I have been eagerly anticipating this thread and you have not disappointed! Thanks Hcarl! I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

More shots! I decided to take pics not only of those that have flowered, but also the ones which I know for sure are hybrids. Here goes:
Shots of 3 different looking D. tokaiensis x intermedia Easton, MA

D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x "capillaris Long Arm"

D. capillaris Long Arm" x intermedia Easton, MA: some have really elongate petioles, so a few are for sure hybrids.

D. "capillaris Long Arm" x natalensis: suspicious here, because plants aren't much different from the seed parent, but no swelling seed pods yet. Will update here if that changes

D. "capillaris Long Arm" x sp. Lantau Island

D. spatulata "white flower" x 'Tamlin': technically not a hybrid, but interesting growth form on this new variety

Got plenty of extras here, and probably need to thin the pot out: D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island

Also need to thin this pot out: D. "capillaris Long Arm" x spatulata "white flower"

That is a lot of hybrids! So many different crosses.

I am surprised that the D. tokaiensis x intermedia is so ground-hugging. 'Goes to show that you can't predict which traits will express from either parent no matter how likely it seems. It is cool to see the variation in the individuals from the same crosses.

Awesome crosses, looks like you have been having fun.

The tokai x intermedia actually do hold their leaves slightly off the ground, more so in the one with the thinnest petioles, but yeah, for the most part they're ground huggers.

update on the capillaris (formerly Long Arm) x spatulata 'Tamlin': 2 plants reached maturity

A for the parentage, still working things out here: both the capillaris and my tokaiensis are extremely similar (though with some differences) and their hybrids are fully fertile, so I think they are the same species. They are both very similar to my D. x tokaiensis, both in leaf shape and flower color, but also similar to other pics I've seen of some capillaris forms. The D. capillaris "Costa Rica" makes things worse, as leaf shape is similar as well, though not quite the same, but flower color is notably lighter and I'd like to think the ICPS has that ID correct. So, parentage on some of my crosses is up in the air. All of the parents are sufficiently different to warrant at least being labeled separate clones, but still working on species ID.

Another one I haven't shown yet: D. natalensis x aliciae. I'm surprised the cross worked in this direction, as aliciae, due to low light, wasn't producing much pollen

nice dews ,you have inspired me to try again at hybrids this year,cheers:-D

Another one I haven't shown yet: D. natalensis x aliciae. I'm surprised the cross worked in this direction, as aliciae, due to low light, wasn't producing much pollen

An interesting plant. 'Reminds me a lot of D. slackii.

So, turns out the natalensis x aliciae was just pure natalensis, so I redid the cross today, but the reverse seems to have taken:
D. aliciae x natalensis

I also have made some other crosses with aliciae recently, including with sp. Lantau Island, brevifolia, and tokaiensis "B" once they ripen, we'll see which were successful.

Considering that one of the challenges is keeping the seed-parent plant from self-pollinating, ending up without a cross but with viable seeds seems almost inevitable from time to time.

Have you ever tried any crosses with capensis?

Back