What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I must say that you have done a fantastical thing here.

I'm really, really curious what their colors would be like if the lighting intensity was high, and feeding low?

This is so awesome, and you've done an amazing job. How do you keep track of it all?

When it comes to sundews, I like to keep them robust over worrying about color, so I don't slack on the feedings. And there's only a few species that the color is really affected by less food.
After 9 or so years of growing things, you tend to form a very good memory of what everything is and where, and lists are helpful too. Colored threads are the only thing helping me remember which hybrids are which on the flower stalks too.

Yeah they will grow much slower without regular feeding, sometimes it's worth it imo. I love feeding dews though, it's seemingly really calming.

Forgot to post these pics here since the last couple weeks were hectic, but I have an exciting new hybrid that I have confirmed: D. affinis x spatulata "white flower"
D. affinis x spatulata "white flower" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

The plant has the climbing pattern and elongate leaves of the pod parent, but wider, spoon-shaped leaves of spatulata and a more compact growth form. Even while small it's very attractive.

Also, recent hybridization attempts include the successful harvest of D. intermedia Easton, MA x filiformis "FL All Red" seeds, and crosses in both directions of FL All Red with typical capensis, and ongoing new crosses with my now-flowering D. ultramafica x spatulata, which appears to be producing viable seed.

Pic rundown today, most of the hybrids I have produced. I don't have a pic of natalensis x aliciae, and a couple others which will be noted, but the rest of those that are mature or recognizable as hybrids are below.
I made this cross three times, at least twice I know succeeded, originally with different forms of tokaiensis I thought were other species. I may just sell a bunch and combine the rest into one pot
D. tokaiensis x sp. Lantau Island by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The reverse only succeeded once.
D. sp. Lantau Island x tokaiensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The tropical anglica (which has longer leaves) is flowering, so I may be making new versions of this cross
D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x anglica Oregon by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
One of two batches of this cross, again because I thought the tokaiensis was another species
D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
These ones are a little run down due to flowering, like the tokai parent can be. The reverse appears to have failed, so a remake might be imminent
D. natalensis x tokaiensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
I didn't take a photo of the reverse of this, aka spatulata "white flower" x tokaiensis, which is slightly larger.
D. tokaiensis x spatulata "white flower" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The one seedling I got of this
D. sp. Lantau Island x capensis 'Albino' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And the mature typical version
D. sp. Lantau Island x capensis "typical" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The reverse of this cross isn't picture, but is similar
D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x 'Tamlin' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x "white flower" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
This is one of my favorite looking of the rosette crosses
D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
My first plants of this cross flowered recently (pic below), and the glandular scapes, split stigmas, and more rounded petals show up in the cross, otherwise the plants look identical to Lantau
D. sp. Lantau Island x brevifolia by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Comparison of flowers, Lantau on the left, hybrid to the right
D. sp. Lantau Island x brevifolia by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. spatulata "white flower" x 'Tamlin' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
My only plant of this cross as well
D. intermedia Easton, MA x tokaiensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The second known successful tokai x Lantau cross
D. tokaiensis x sp. Lantau Island by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
These two are in rather low light, but even so are clearly not pure brevifolia
D. brevifolia x sp. Lantau Island by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Again, for the same reason as some of the others, I have two versions of this cross, this plant is the one that looks best
D. tokaiensis x intermedia Easton, MA by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
For some reason, my two largest plants, once they reached a certain size, completely stopped making leaves, as if the growth point just ended. Hopefully a new one will show up on each, but this baffles me.
Got plenty of these :)
D. tokiensis x spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The original 'Tamlin' x tokai cross
D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x tokaiensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And the original reverse
D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Got plenty of these too :)
D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x tokaiensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. spatulata "white flower" x sp. Lantau Island" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Though this hybrid takes a lot after the pollen parent, under good light the wider lamina and shorter, hairier petioles are clear
D. madagascariensis x affinis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The divergent appearance of the Fraser spatulata makes this hybrid kind of stick out compared to the other spat x tokai crosses
D. spatulata "Fraser Island" x tokaiensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. sp. Lantau Island x spatulata "white flower" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
So these guys are not doing too hot, but I think I finally figured out why, so hopefully I can get them to turn around soon.
D. sp. Lantau Island x 'Tamlin' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Lastly, as of right now this cross is my favorite looking of the rosette type crosses
D. aliciae x sp. Lantau Island by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. aliciae x sp. Lantau Island by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dude that affinisxspatulata hybrid is really neat. Is that the one you were telling me about?

I'm really jealous of your drosera ....... great job. .

Millipede: yes, the affinis x spatulata was the one I mentioned. Now to just figure out why the growth points ended...

i think ive had that happen a couple times. I never really investigated any cause though so i cant say much about it. How long from seedling to maturity did those all take?

They're not all mature. Never had flowers from most of them. Some are a couple years old already, others take only a few months.

:bigthumpup: I am impressed at how prolific you are with Drosera crosses! My fave from this group is the Lantau Is. spatulata x anglica. I also like your spatulata x capensis, which doesn't look a lot like the cross of those two species that I grow.

Wow hybrid city! Nice work at crossing so many plants.

I must admit that they all look very similar to me though. :suspect:

Awesome work. I have a few species flowering right now that I am going to try to cross as well.

Bluemax, I think you're confusing a few.... I have spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x anglica, and Lantau x capensis. I do not (yet) have Lantau x anglica, and have only recently begun sprouting capensis x spatulata variants (the reverse is being worked on now).

Oops! I shouldn't trust my memory when it comes to spatulata varieties. I've always found them to be a bit mind-boggling. Nonetheless, the complement stands.

some very attractive hybrids in here.
curious if you guys rub flowers together or remove anthers

swapping anthers is the very best and smartest way to do it

Rubbing the flowers together is a very bad idea if you want to be sure to have only hybrids. There's still a chance of contamination as the anthers are being removed, but once they are fully out of the flower and swapped with whatever it's being crossed with there's a very high likelihood then of most seeds produced being hybrid only.

Also, news: recently harvested and sowed seeds of D. filiformis "FL All Red" x tokaiensis and reverse and filiformis "FL All Red" x capensis typical. The reverse of the latter has been harvested but not yet sown, and I recently attempted two crosses between D. anglica Alakai Swamp, HI and two different spatulata forms. Sadly, I am not sure my attempt at D. intermedia Mt. Roraima x filiformis FL red succeeded, so that may wait yet another year....

yea I figured, I just remember some people mashing flowers and trying to use their eye to pick out "hybrids"
been a while since I messed with hybrids tho. but when I did I would try to cut the anthers off aswell, and rinse the flower with water unless I knew the flower was incompatible with itself, example binata , paradoxa , etc. then id mash away

one thing I never tried was raising chromosome counts. have any of you tried messing with clochline? (i forget the spelling)

Last edited:
I believe it's colchicine. And that's a chemical rather hard to come by.

Back