What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all,
Over the past year or so I've been going all out trying to create a bunch of new hybrids, and I finally have the first one flowering: D. capillaris "Long Arm" x spatulata 'Tamlin':
young plant

adult

The first flower just opened this morning, and though it leans toward the dark pink the capillaris parent had, it's nowhere near as deep

The next cross is due to flower in a couple weeks, D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin', and it's a lot more "graceful" looking, but this one is cool too.
In the near future, I hope to put up pics of:
D. capillaris Long Arm x dielsiana
capillaris Long Arm x sp. Lantau Island
sp. Lantau Island x madagascariensis
tokaiensis x capensis
.....and many others! Keep watching,
~hcarlton

Excellent work. Hybridizing Drosera takes an enormous amount of patience and a steady eye and hand. On the plus side is that you don't have to wait 5 or more years to see the results. Ivan Snyder would be proud.

Now work out the ploidy counts and see if you can predict which may be fertile.

Congratulations! 'Very nicely done. Do you see any signs of hybrid vigor in this first cross?

the seeds were only planted like 4 months ago, so I'd say that's hybrid vigor. Same with the tokaiensis x spat 'Tamlin' that should be flowering soon. It's nearly as big as the Tamlin parent, and more colorful.

the seeds were only planted like 4 months ago, so I'd say that's hybrid vigor. Same with the tokaiensis x spat 'Tamlin' that should be flowering soon. It's nearly as big as the Tamlin parent, and more colorful.

Wow - from seed to flowers in only 4 months! That is vigorous.

Okay, the next hybrid has flowered! I missed the actual opening of the flower, but the pic I took of the spent bud shows this one had a very bright pink flower, lighter than the above plant. This is the cross D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin', and the plant is bigger than either parent, possibly pushing 4+ inches across!

Most of my other hybrids are a long ways behind, so this thread might not have too many updates. Hopefully, though, I'll see some real growth on ones like sp. Lantau x madagascariensis, or D. tokaiensis x capensis, and be able to post those in a few months.

this is very cool,i think i failed in my hybrids,did you remove the pollen of the seed parent flower and did you put any kind of small bag over the seed flower after you pollinated to ensure no bugs did any pollinating ,hope you know what i mean ,cheers

I remove the anthers from both flowers before crossing them (I always try to do crosses both ways), and all my plants are in a greenhouse in my own house, so there are no bugs getting to them, at least not the pollinating kind.

Thanks.i shall try again next year

This is the cross D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin', and the plant is bigger than either parent, possibly pushing 4+ inches across!

'Makes me wonder how large it will be when it maxes out.

Hopefully, though, I'll see some real growth on ones like sp. Lantau x madagascariensis, or D. tokaiensis x capensis, and be able to post those in a few months.

I'll be looking forward to those!

I think the tokai x 'Tamlin' has maxed out , since it's beginning to flower already. As it is, it's a pretty large sundew though.

Good job ! I love the results ! Thanks for sharing your works !

Got another shot of the tokai x Tamlin to show hybrid vigor:

The flower stalks is reaching well past 2 feet tall. Neither parent gets even half this size on the inflorescences.
Also, soon I will have pics of the reverse, spatulata 'Tamlin' x tokaiensis, and a test cross of capillaris "Long Arm" x tokaiensis flowering. I say test, because they two species look ridiculously similar to me at the moment, so I'm suspicious they may be the same. I also have supposed capillaris "Costa Rica" that is flowering, and I can compare to that as well.

Very cool! Keep us updated. I can't wait to see the D. madagascariensis hybrid, the madagascariensis is my favorite sundew.

I can't guarantee any one of my hybrids is exactly that until they flower, since sometimes there is contamination. But the plants I got from the supposed Lantau x madag cross don't quite match the look of my pure Lantau plants, so there's a good chance it is that cross. They just need a bigger pot at the moment ( I ran out of room real quick with my hybrid and seedling escapades).
Also, I recently attempted crossing the madag with two different spatulata forms, so we'll see if either of those play out, and I'm hoping for a shot at crosses soon of madag x dielsiana, x affinis, possibly try to get the reverse of the Lantau back, etc....

That is one huge flower stalk. Very nice!

The biggest I've ever seen.... and it's got 3 total forming/flowering at the same time, no sign of leaf size decrease either.....

Another hybrid has flowered! This one is D. spatulata 'Tamlin' x tokaiensis, so the reverse of the monster in the previous posts. THe flowers are about the same color, that bright pink, but the leaves are thinner and resemble spatulata more.

I also took cuttings of all 3 of the ones that flowered, so should have extras in a few months. I have also apparently been successful in crossing D. madagascariensis x dielsiana (the reverse failed though), and crosses with madag x "capillaris Long Arm", sp. Lantau Island, affinis, and D. affinis x dielsiana and, if I recall correctly, also the "capillaris Long Arm".

You are getting great results! 'Hope you keep up the good work.

Wow. Nice. I can't wait to see more.

Back