What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris complex plants - lava/red clay media

Cindy

Staff member
I found four lava or red clay media sitting in my growing area. From top left clockwise: lava sand, red lava, unlabelled, burnt earth (fire kilned red clay)

Considering input from jimscott and kulamauiman, I potted three simlar size D. dilatato-petiolaris plants in three different media (lava sand, red lava and burnt earth - all individually mixed with peat and sand).

Keep us posted on that experiment!

So - four different completely inorganic media? Very interesting. The plants certainly look cool planted that way.

Hi Max,

It's inorganic + peat/sand. 1:1 and three of the media were used as I find the red lava pieces too big and intimidating for the puny plant. LOL

I checked them 5 mins ago and the leaves are all turgid...will post pics in a week or two.

Hi Max,

It's inorganic + peat/sand. 1:1 and three of the media were used as I find the red lava pieces too big and intimidating for the puny plant. LOL

I checked them 5 mins ago and the leaves are all turgid...will post pics in a week or two.
It is hammer time.

Hi Max,

Oops! I guess I could've read that the first time you said it.

'Looking forward to the results.

I am hoping that the hammer is to break up the lava rock. If not - "Ouch!"

I am hoping that the hammer is to break up the lava rock. If not - "Ouch!"

indeed. crushing the porous lava isn't too difficult for larger sections to make more manageable

One statement - many interpretations! LOL

Okie dokie, I'll try to break up the pieces this weekend.

I didn't get to use the hammer on the unlabelled red lava-like media....but the different media are working for the plants!

Lava sand + peat/sand

Lava rock + peat/sand

Burnt earth + peat/sand

Top view - largest is the one in burnt earth + peat/sand even though all the plants started out the same size

Back