What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata flower stalk propagation in water

Hey Everyone:

I noticed on a few different threads discussing D. binata that some growers were complaining that their D. binata was sterile, but kept sending up flower stalks. I thought I'd share that I recently did a little experiment with 'Marston Dragon' after reading about the species on the Sundew Grow Guide.

Basically, I cut off a flower stalk, a new leaf, and an old leaf, cut them into 2 inch pieces, and placed them in water - just water - in a recently washed out, translucent take-out container. After a month, every single piece of the flower stalk has a new plantlet sprouting (the part with the flowers themselves has 4), whereas the old leaf has just two plantlets and the new leaf just one.

I'd never done a water cutting before, and I was surprised to see it worked, albeit, taking a little longer than a regular soil cutting, in my experience. Nor, had I done a flower stalk cutting, and was especially pleased that that worked. I just thought I'd share in case anyone wanted to propagate their D. binatas at a faster rate than the D. binatas do themselves.

(Sorry, nothing better than a camera phone, so no pictures, yet).

-N

It is a good point being as many of us just clip off the flower stalks of our sundew species and toss them, not wanting to risk depleting the plant by letting it bloom. Though I haven't tried it I suspect that it is possible for many species to be propagated by flower stalks in water.

Anyone tried D. filiformis tracyi (or D. tracyi, if you prefer)?

Thanks for sharing! I'll try that as well.

Jimscott, those are some impressive looking vials.

As a quasi-experiment, I'm trying with D. tracyi, D. nidiformis, D. dielsiana, and, as a control, another D. 'Marston Dragon.' I'll let you all know how those go if and when they sprout.

Cool, I have a flowers stim to try this !!!! :banana2:

Hope it works!

It's fortuitous you posted this. I've got 2 stalks coming up in my D. 'Marston Dragon' pot, and one in my D. binata multifida extrema, and have been planning on doing flower stalk cuttings. Guess this means I should get on it.

Oh, I thought it was common knowledge that flower stalk cuttings from binate can be used for propagation. I've also used the leaf petiole after the dewy portion of the leaf began to decline.

Hey Everyone:

I noticed on a few different threads discussing D. binata that some growers were complaining that their D. binata was sterile, but kept sending up flower stalks. I thought I'd share that I recently did a little experiment with 'Marston Dragon' after reading about the species on the Sundew Grow Guide.

Basically, I cut off a flower stalk, a new leaf, and an old leaf, cut them into 2 inch pieces, and placed them in water - just water - in a recently washed out, translucent take-out container. After a month, every single piece of the flower stalk has a new plantlet sprouting (the part with the flowers themselves has 4), whereas the old leaf has just two plantlets and the new leaf just one.

I'd never done a water cutting before, and I was surprised to see it worked, albeit, taking a little longer than a regular soil cutting, in my experience. Nor, had I done a flower stalk cutting, and was especially pleased that that worked. I just thought I'd share in case anyone wanted to propagate their D. binatas at a faster rate than the D. binatas do themselves.

(Sorry, nothing better than a camera phone, so no pictures, yet).

-N
Hey I use my phone to post pics as well. If it's a smart phone download photobucket and use it to upload and copy the img code to the forum

if you want to make lots of plants you can chop up the entire plant and lay onto LFS. The roots work really well and they are huge... This plant was taken out of a 4" pot but there must be several feet of roots in there. This pic was taken with my phone...

Last edited:
I just did the same thing to the multifada extrema I got from BobZ. A lot of the leaves got broke in half during shipment so I took a pair of scissors to them and went to town. All the leaf portions went into a container filled with water and the roots got nestled into my live sphagnum growth trays. I should have about 1,000 plantlets in the next month if anyone wants some lol.

I just did the same thing to the multifada extrema I got from BobZ. A lot of the leaves got broke in half during shipment so I took a pair of scissors to them and went to town. All the leaf portions went into a container filled with water and the roots got nestled into my live sphagnum growth trays. I should have about 1,000 plantlets in the next month if anyone wants some lol.
If the root cuttings I took last week don't make it I'll definitely take you up on that!!!!!

Back