What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing a few more:
The D. hookeri are big, and forming multiple growth points, but refuse to climb

2 of my stolonifera, however, have good stems

And while the hookeri are 2 years old, these auriculata Howden, Tasmania are only a couple months old, and look what they're doing

D. trinervia colony (also have a couple of mystery winter-growers in here as well, look like cistiflora relatives....)

D. platystigma "A"

D. roseana

And D. tracyi are waking up, and there's a flower stalk! Many cool hybrids to follow. I used to call them filiformis tracyi, but after growing these out now, I can see the differences myself

More shots
D. auriculata Howden climbing fast

trinervia always looks happy

D. tracyi with its double leaf (though, the tips got burnt by lights before I moved it, so the leaf is only 8" long)

D. natalensis flower

One of only 3 flower I've ever seen open on my capillaris FL Long Arm x intermedia

tomentosa isn't getting any bigger, so fingers crossed it may flower at some point

burmannii Humpty Doo

adelae is a weird one for me: at any one time, usually only one side of the pot looks nice

may need to thin out the prolifera soon too

More shots:
D. auriculata (the biggest one) reaching nearly 5" tall

After only a couple months of growing, D. platystigma "A" is flowering!

Dewy roseana field

2 of 5 D. regia seedlings, the biggest has 5" leaves (left)

And D. brevifolia all starting to flower

All sorts of amazing goodies^! Your regia certainly look robust and healthy.

Amazing regias. Awesome plants in general, but your regias are truly shining over all the others. You said they were seedlings and not plantlets from root cuttings? If so, what's your secret??????

Yes, seedlings (and I still have plenty of seeds I plan on messing with soon). Not really any secrets, but I follow the suggestions other people give: food, food, lots of food. I also occasionally give dilute fertilizer by the roots along with the hordes of fert-soaked bloodworms the things get.

Nice regia! I'm getting my own in a few days, and I hope I can grow it as well as you do. Is there anything underneath the live sphagnum?

More sphagnum, mixed with some perlite. As an interesting experiment when these guys get big, the pot they're in was designed somewhat like lava rock (admittedly it's glazed though), with multiple small holes for roots to pop out of and make plantlets. My plants are a ways from that stage though.

Some more shots
D. burmannii "Humpty Doo"

D. burmannii 'Pilliga Red'

Not a sundew, but I find it fascinating how the corolla of Byblis fall off in one perfect piece

D. tomentosa

New hybrid, nidiformis x natalensis 'Tom Turpin'

D. affinis net

D. tracyi flower

And the whole pot

with the new split leaf

D. auriculata Howden, Tasmania getting taller. Also, one flowered today, and it was pink!

Double leaf on aliciae

roseana

scorpioides "Pink flower"

D. platystigma "A" are forming a nice field

And one recently gifted me with this:

I love pygmies, they're so cute in their little colonies, and the flowers are so different from other Drosera. Great pics!

'Such a display! I like B. linaflora a lot. If you are used to growing sundews there is something almost alien about them, ha! A very nice D. tomentosa.

Yeah, Byblis definitely look odd after dealing with dews. However, they have their own appeal just the same.

Beautiful plants and great photos. Your last gift is my fav!

Some more shots:

trinervia is getting bigger, but no flowers this season yet

capensis "alba" always looks best out of my forms

spatulata 'Tamlin' x tokaiensis "B": the difference between this and the "A" cross is the wider lamina and lighter colored flowers

spatulata "white flower" x 'Tamlin' is currently one of my most robust spoonleaf clones

first fully open aliciae flower in a long time

and, lastly, anglica Oregon waking up

Still need a positive ID for this one: anybody have any ideas? It reminds me of both slackii and cuneifolia depending on the day, and the leaves are really thin

roseana always looks nice, hopefully I'll get gemmae this time around and fill the whole pot

spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island flower: colors range from light to very light pink, and for the plant size they're large too

anglica Oregon have fully woken up and are flowering

sp. Lantau Island

and the happy pot o' prolifera

Um, what species is sp. Lantau Island? Has it just not been given a name yet? The pygmy sundews look great, but are they okay being that close to each other?

D. sp. Lantau Island has not yet been given a formal scientific name, likely because the jury's still out on whether or not it's a true species, as it looks an acts very similar to a polyploid hybrid of D. spatulata and D. oblanceolata (if my seeds of the latter ever sprout, we may be able to confirm or deny the similarity). This is much the same case as D. anglica coming from rotundifolia and linearis.
As for the pygmy sundews, if you think that's close you'd hate to see the pygmaea pot, and there's plenty of photos on the internet of mounds of tightly packed pygmy dews, as they look best that way and, since they're so small and the roots go deep, it's not like they're really competing for a lot of space.

Still trying to figure out these pain-in-the-butts, these first ones look like slackii or a relative due to the lamina shape,

But this is definitely a different species, look like a small, thinner aliciae so I'm still thinking admirabilis for the ones that look like this

In the meantime though, my certified aliciae has produced a double leaf

and a funky 6-petal flower

Who loves regias? :D I have 3 doing well, one that is really struggling and I think will be a dud, and I sowed a few more seeds. Here's hoping for a colony soon!

spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island' showing off some flowers: the color is so hard to catch on camera under lights, but the flowers are a very soft pink, and large

tokaiensis "B" x spatulata "white flower" desperately needing to be thinned.

Here we see my original D. tomentosa,

And here we see the one I started about 6 months later

D. sessilifolia

And my newest threadleaf, D. 'Dreamsicle'

Any chance that your mystery 'dews are hybrids? What stands out for me is the middle rib/crease in the leaves. Whatever they are I have never grown one like them.

Those are some very robust-looking regia plants. Very nice.

No clue yet, I haven't gotten them to successfully flower. However, a number of species like trinervia, some of the cistiflora forms, and relatives have a notable rib on the leaf underside, and every one of these plants has long, thick roots, and came from the same seed pack as my trinervia and the species I also have that looks like a cistiflora relative, so I am assuming they're at least South African.

Back