Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Random pics

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious, do you feed your burmannii grown from seed? Or just let them do their thing?
    "If I am what I have, and if I lose what I have, who then am I?"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're in an indoor greenhouse, so if I didn't feed them they'd go downhill the moment they even tried to flower.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just gone through most of this thread as well as your hybrid thread. Your sundew collection is very impressive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I hope D. linearis is growing well for you. I imagine you are dreaming of artificially recreating D. anglica. I succeeded in this but was unable to get it to flower, so I lost interest in the plant and gave it away. Wish now I had instead used the easy tropical growing rotundifolia from Kagoshima Japan which I got later. If you can do this, I can make it fertile with Colchicine.

Your brevifolia x spatulata on your growlist can be made a fertile hexaploid which would be interfertile with tokaiensis.
    ~Ivan aka Dr. FrankenSnyder

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While recreation of natural hybrids is somewhat of interest (mostly if I don't own the hybrid yet), I don't think I can count crossing linearis and rotundifolia as actually recreating anglica myself per se; that species has been self-supporting and separate from the parents for thousands of years at least. The ancestral hybrid D. x kihlmannii is a different story. Plus, if I even get linearis to adulthood (and they're still less than 1/2" across despite all the time they've had to grow so far), I'd much rather attempt if the opportunity arises crosses with species like filiformis, capensis, if it's possible (and theoretically it should be) things like affinis or madagascariensis, etc.
    Also, while some fertile hybrids are interesting, I personally would much rather retain most of mine as sterile; lineage can't be crossed back and confused with anything later on and my crosses like brevifolia x tokaiensis (brevi x spat I can't say for certain is an actual success yet; still very, very young) are more than prolific enough as they are.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growlist