What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With leaves beginning to push 8 or so inches on the big one, D. regia is quite enthralling...

Underrated species alert! My capensis typical is finally looking healthy enough to match the albas

D. 'Dreamsicle' is flowering, and since we know fil x tracyi hybrids are fertile, I plan to make some worthy x hybrid type plants soon

Beware the creepy! My mother's least favorite pot, I'm sure: D. intermedia Easton

What happens when your plants in one pot all decide to go dormant at different times, and you put them in the fridge anyway? Mutants: in this pic there is a double, triple, and quadruple leaf on the rotunds

And, my ever-lanky indica Scented Flower

D. regia is still the king of the winter-wet greenhouse

D. capensis 'Albino' flower: I've attempted a number of crosses with this stalk, and while only a few seem to have taken (and looking at the selfed flowers, I'll probably retry on the new stalk), I should have some hybrids up and coming

D. brevifolia: other end of the size spectrum

My 'Dreamsicle' has seriously disappointed me, as the flower stalk tip went black. this has happened on a number of other plants, most notably my sessilifolias, anyone have an idea why? It's ruining my hybrid attempts

Mutant D. rotundifolia: the first pic shows a triple leaf, the second a quadruple. Can you see all the sides?

D. schizandra

D. indica Scented flower

D. 'Dreamsicle'

graomogolensis

sessilifolia

ultramafica x spatulata

binata binata Waihohonu Desert Rd.

biggest of the 'Tamlin' x tokaiensis clones currently

filiformis FL Giant flower

spatulata white flower

Lovely dews! Your sessilifolia look an awful lot like what I have growing as D. burmannii "Pilliga Red", in terms of size and structure. The sessies I have are smaller (dime to nickel sized) and more compact than that. Examples below. Started each from ICPS seedbank seed about three years back.

burmannii "Pilliga Red"

sessilifolia

Last edited:
I have the burmannii 'Pilliga red' as well as another form on top of the sessilifolia. But the seeds they came from were from the ICPS bank manager's collection, so they should be properly labeled, and sounds like they may have been started around the same time. Usually they have a bit more rounded leaves than right now.

Not a whole lot for today, but the spatulata "Beenak, Victoria" plants are about to flower

And the D. madagascariensis are looking presentable again

Last edited:
Again, not too many pics for today, but:
D. tokaiensis x spatulata 'Tamlin', most colorful plant in this pot right now

spatulata 'Tamlin' x sp. Lantau Island

soon-to-be 'Tom Turpin'

tomentosa (a leaf from the smaller plant can be seen at the very top of the pic)

adelae

Help in ID'ing the following two species is greatly appreciated. They came from the same seed pack, which also gave me D. trinervia, but are clearly all different species. This first one, I have tentatively labeled D. admirabilis

And this second, due to the leaf shape is aff. slackii

And lastly a known plant: my pot o' aliciae

So, I know I've posted pics of this monstrosity before, but here it is again: the hollow Monk's Head pot

And the colony of D. intermedia Easton happily growing in it :D

D. "capillaris FL Long Arm." This pot has given me a number of headaches. Some plants in the pot are confirmed to be long arm capillaris, they have the pink flowers and produce viable seed, and have the characteristic semi-flattened lamina tip, but others at various times of the year (most notable during summer when leaves are longest) produce more rounded lamina and have never produced viable seed. I suspect them of being hybrids with intermedia. Ironic since it's thought this form may have arisen from a polyploid hybrid with capillaris and intermedia originally.

And, my D. filiformis "typical"

One of the plants that is confusing in the capillaris "FL Long Arm" pot. Ith as more rounded leaf tips, and has never produced viable seeds.
15333982545_6da9fa7619.jpg

This one, and the plant that sits next to it, however, have more squared off leaves and have produced seeds
15310951186_a3fa73c1b4.jpg

Another shot of the forest of D. intermedia Easton, MA growing out of the pot head (no puns intended :) )
15147274640_f1a6148d5e.jpg

sp. Lantau Island
15147414918_18aac53ec4.jpg

D. madagascariensis doing well again
15333696672_09753d8114.jpg

15310975976_19a6168e15.jpg

anglica "Oregon"
15333700052_77c47fe383.jpg

intermedia Mt. Roraima
15310978776_2a48752c0e.jpg

D. burmannii "Humpty Doo"
15310980246_0577124537.jpg

filiformis FL Giant
15330847661_e32119d309.jpg

filiformis FL All Red. Perhaps the flower stalk will succeed this time
15147481667_4089927f6d.jpg

'Dreamsicle'
15330861221_132028ee57.jpg

burmannii "green" formerly known as sessilifolia. Hopefully the seedlings I haven now will be the real thing
15311002226_453935d0fe.jpg

ultramafica x spatulata. Still haven't managed to keep the flower stalk alive, but the plant is very happy
15147446168_291be6d4e8.jpg

tomentosa
15330869711_cc269e1d75.jpg

nidiformis x natalensis 'Tom Turpin'
15330917061_1f10258263.jpg

tokaiensis x spatulata "white flower"
15147372000_5eb7f60a0b.jpg

sp. Lantau Island x capensis typical. I love the shape of this hybrid, and I recently harvested seeds of the reverse. I also have seedlings of both directions with the 'Albino' cape form
15147376840_9fd49dc019.jpg

D. felix
15147504338_6e13607d30.jpg

affinis
15147517008_74d6fd7c9c.jpg

D. regia. This used to be the second largest plant, but as the big one died back it became the big guy. But, new plantlets have sprouted from the roots of the former giant, so here's hoping for a pot of giants!
15147556088_37d11d5725.jpg

D. scorpioides "pink Flower"
15147615447_55331925f2.jpg

citrina citrina. Can't wait to see this flower
15147562578_87fc4332a2.jpg

platystigma A. Hoping for a mass blooming this fall.
15147439570_5b065d12b5.jpg

Still labeling this for now as aff. admirabilis after looking though my files of South African species, as that is the closest resemblance I can find.
15147622297_7bdb26042e.jpg

And this one as aff. slackii due to the widened leaf tip
15330988591_7c24f6b27e.jpg

spatulata "white flower," as prolific as ever
15334157435_12e687bc51.jpg

2 clones of D. aliciae x natalensis flower. I just repotted them, so hopefully the plants will become respectable size soon
15488511901_a6b9656445.jpg

My filiformis FL All Red is doing great too, for once, and finally flowered! I have so far crossed it with sp. Lantau Island, intermedia Easton (x hybrida, finally!), and attempted spatulata 'Tamlin.' I'm somewhat disappointed the Mt. Roraima intermedias aren't flowering yet, so no tropical hybrida, and I missed the chance on a cross with capensis.... oh well
15491310612_58a25e7545.jpg

15305100137_6e7017c9fb.jpg

Great pics, love your Sundew collection. Would like to see updated pics of your setup where you keep all these.

Excellent looking plants man. D. madagascariensis, do want.

I tend not to take pics of my setups, as I am a global organizer and therefore have lots of everything strewn about. Not the greatest for photography. And I tend to like individual photos more than not at this point...

Nice photos! That affinis looks very happy! (Well, they all do, but that one just caught my eye).

D. rotundifolia doing very well
D. rotundifolia by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
filiformis typical also getting big
D. filiformis typical by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. madagascariensis is a very fast grower
D. madagascariensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
filiformis FL Giant produced a binata mimic leaf
D. filiformis FL Giant by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Because I slacked off feeding them recently, the burmannii Humpty Doo took on their famous red blush
D. burmannii Humpty Doo by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x anglica Oregon, a successful D. x nagamotoi remake
D. spatulata "Royal Natl. Pk. Sydney" x anglica Oregon by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
graomogolensis is coming back around as temperatures drop
D. graomogolensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
burmannii "green" formerly known as sessilifolia :p
D. burmannii green by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
fingers crossed that new flower stalk on ultramafica x spatulata will actually grow out this time.....
D. ultramafica x spatulata by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
tomentosa looking immaculate as always
D. tomentosa by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
binata Coromandel NZ is coming back around. Come next year, however, I'm moving starts of every binata variety I have outside with the Sarracenia, as the test plants out there are doing better than the indoor ones have in years. Go figure....
D. binata "Coromandel NZ" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Ironic too, that the spatulata "Fraser Island" always do better in every pot except the ones I want them in....
D. spatulata "Frazer Island" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
With the southern sun D. 'Tom Turpin' are getting big and, with some, very very red
D. 'Tom Turpin' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The bomb-proof hybrid D. tokaiensis x spatulata "white flower"
D. tokaiensis x spatulata "white flower" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The sp. Lantau x capensis typical decided to stretch out a little, so now we can see just how cool those leaves actually look.
D. sp. Lantau Island x capensis "typical" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
My mound of spatulata "Beenak, Victoria" plants that still needs to be thinned out
D. spatulata "Beenak, Victoria" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The other bomb-proof sp. Lantau x spatulata 'Tamlin'
D. sp. Lantau Island' x spatulata 'Tamlin' by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. x beleziana "Dr. Frankensnyder's Monster" looking better with the southern sun as well
D. x beleziana "Dr. Frankensnyder's Monster" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Put in a slightly stronger light with my Mediterranean-climate greenhouse, and the D. capensis forms are appreciating it. Here's typical and 'Albino'
D. capensis 'Albino' and typical by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
red leaf
D. capensis red leaf by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. roseana looking like pincushions
D. roseana by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
capensis wide leaf
D. capensis wide leaf by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
My plants have this odd tendency to make vine-like flower stalks instead of the normal short, upright ones. This is a 2 foot D. aliciae stalk
D. aliciae flower stalk by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And the gorgeous plant that produced it with anther on the way
D. aliciae by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. aliciae by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
The D. aff. admirabilis
D. aff. admirabilis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. aff. admirabilis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And the D. aff. slackii, with the wide leaves that absolutely baffle me. With the morning sun they receive right at this time of year and the new light put in, this is also the lushest I've seen them
D. aff. slackii by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
D. aff. slackii by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Lastly, the bomb-proof D. spatulata "white flower"
D. spatulata "white flower" by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Is there any way you can get more light to them, I'm sure you'd see a ton more thick tentacles and darker/more developed colors.

I love all the pictures and your variety is great.

I hesitate to give advice here because I respect the ability you are clearly demonstrating to grow this wide of a variety, but I know the look of those thin tentacles and leaves. No doubt they will continue to plug along and flower for you, but just some food for thought I suppose.

Dave

Last edited:
Plenty of people have tried to tell me I need more light, and what I can say is this: if someone wants to donate enough money to set up some really good lights, by all means! Otherwise, I am a college student who has no extra money for that right now, and I rely on what I can afford when I can afford it. I've upgraded lights here and there over time, a lot of these plants wouldn't be alive otherwise, but there is a cost limit.
And for some of the plants pictured, my camera is terrible at catching the true colors and so a lot of them are much more red than the pictures suggest....

Back