What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, I decided to take some new pics of plants that were looking good, so here are some sticky things from my greenhouse :D :
D. rotundifolia: started out as only 5 plants, now they've multiplied and packed each other in

D. capillaris FL x intermedia: sent to me as pure capillaris, but the leaves don't really match and they're never produced viable seed. Very vigorous though

D. spatulata 'Tamlin': always my favorite form

D. intermedia "Carolina Giant": plants regularly surpass 4 inches

D. filiformis filiformis "FL Giant": reaching well over a foot tall

D. sessilifolia: these plants keep suffering from a fungus that kills off the flower stalk just below the buds, any ideas?

D. spatulata "Pink Flower", Royal National Park, Sydney

D. tomentosa tomentosa

D. affinis: got 3 plants flowering

And, not a sundew, but doing great still, Byblis liniflora

Let me know what you think!
~hcarlton

Very nice! I'd want to release a box full of flies in there so bad...

A pleasure to see such a beautifully grown group of Drosera :)

'Nice stuff. The temperate 'dews make me think of springtime and the Byblis makes me want to grow some again.

Thanks! Not everything does well here, but a good number do. And the Byblis are certainly well worth growing, especially in large numbers.

So, got a few more to add:
D. aberrans flower

D. dielsiana

D. madagascariensis: some of these plants have stems over a foot long

My biggest burmannii "Humpty Doo" seedling: it's very red

And burmannii 'Pilliga Red' nearby

Got some more pics to tack on here:
D. prolifera

D. adelae

D. brevifolia

D. spatulata 'Tamlin' flower

D. sp. Lantau Island flower

D. spatulata "Pink Flower, Royal National Park, Sydney" flower

Colony of D. trinervia

D. capensis alba

My biggest D. hookeri "typical"

D. stolonifera

D. regia probably has 4" leaves by now

D. scorpioides "Pink Flower"

Enjoyable stuff. Your tuberous remind me of my challenges with this group and what I'd want them to look like. I'm also reminded that I want to plant some of my burmannii seed soon because I miss them.

Nice photos and plants!!
In the first post, what are those nifty looking hanging planters in photo #5? What have you grown in them?

Those are just homemade trays with deep water trays and string. they've been used off and on to expand space, as we all know how quickly we run out of that..... I also use them to keep highland nep seedlings near the lights to ward off fungus and keep them growing better, because every time I move them away I lose more..... as for what else grows in them, sundews, Sarracenia seedlings, etc.....

Posing some more shots:
D. hookeri "typical"

The biggest D. stolonifera

I need help with these ones. They were grown from seeds labeled as D. trinervia, and while some of those seeds did come up as such (later pictures), others came up looking like cistiflora relatives, and then there were these, which I though were admirabilis. Now, no clue. Any ideas?

These are the trinervia

D. aliciae

D. platystigma form A

D. roseana

D. paleacea trichocaulis

Got a couple more shots:
D. x beleziana "Dr. Frankensnyder's Monster" fertile tetraploid

D. capillaris FL Long Arm x intermedia; going by this guy, I'm almost positive the plants labeled "Long Arm" are either typicals, or a form of tokaiensis

Your D. capillaris FL Long Arm x intermedia looks very interesting. 'Quite a cross. I would like to see what a plant growing by itself would look like.

Nice dews! :)

That cross I received as seeds of "capillaris Florida," but the flowers have never produced viable seeds and the petioles are way long even for a long arm form of that species, same with the elongate lamina. As for seeing one standalone, I can agree it would probably be interesting, but it wouldn't stay that way for long anyways. They tend to sprout from the leaves.

Couple more shots:
D. stolonifera getting taller

Anybody seen this before? The D. auriculata is growing a tuber shoot out from the center of the growth point

D. brevifolia all starting to flower

D. burmannii 'Pilliga Red'

And "Humpty Doo." I love the red on this form

Let's share some more:
D. indica "Pink scented flower" finally growing for me

Need help on these three: supposedly 2 species here, tokaiensis and capillaris, but they all looks really similar. Any thoughts?
D. tokaiensis

D. "capillaris Costa Rica": these seeds came from the ICPS, and flowers are a bit paler than the other two plants, but I'm really suspicious

And the supposed "capillaris Long Arm" which most certainly isn't long arm

D. tomentosa

D. affinis

and flower

And the ever-happy pot of D. capensis "alba"

nice dews,sorry can not help with your ID's,is that dried bloodworms in the cape alba pick?

Your D. stolonifera is certainly looking good. I have not grown capillaris so I can't help there, I'm afraid. I've never grown D. brevifolia but it looks enough like burmannii to make me wonder about its evolution.

Stolonifera is definitely doing better than I expected, I have 2 that have stems now. Oddly enough, my D. hookeri I've had growing for 2 years now, and it refuses to send up a climbing stem, instead it's producing multiple growth points. At the same time, I planted the D. auriculata only a couple months ago and one is already climbing....
D. brevifolia is very different from burmannii. It's smaller, has very wedge-shaped leaves, and the white flower is rather unique looking.

Also, on the capillaris/tokaiensis issue, I have confirmed the cross between the cap "Long Arm" plant and "tokaiensis" produces viable seed, so that tells me they're probably the same species, different forms. On that note, anyone have extra capillaris, any forms, available? :p

Back