What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[emoji106] You have some really, really nice sundews. You make hybrids and regular sundews I dont like look really nice and beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nice D linearis, I don't see very many people growing that species.

So long as it turns out to actually be linearis; thus far, signs are good (don't recall any of my anglica starting to lengthen this early) but only time will confirm.

Just one photo to tack in here today
D. capillaris "Hal Scott, FL" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I'm curious, do you feed your burmannii grown from seed? Or just let them do their thing?

They're in an indoor greenhouse, so if I didn't feed them they'd go downhill the moment they even tried to flower.

I've just gone through most of this thread as well as your hybrid thread. Your sundew collection is very impressive!

I hope D. linearis is growing well for you. I imagine you are dreaming of artificially recreating D. anglica. I succeeded in this but was unable to get it to flower, so I lost interest in the plant and gave it away. Wish now I had instead used the easy tropical growing rotundifolia from Kagoshima Japan which I got later. If you can do this, I can make it fertile with Colchicine.

Your brevifolia x spatulata on your growlist can be made a fertile hexaploid which would be interfertile with tokaiensis.
~Ivan aka Dr. FrankenSnyder

While recreation of natural hybrids is somewhat of interest (mostly if I don't own the hybrid yet), I don't think I can count crossing linearis and rotundifolia as actually recreating anglica myself per se; that species has been self-supporting and separate from the parents for thousands of years at least. The ancestral hybrid D. x kihlmannii is a different story. Plus, if I even get linearis to adulthood (and they're still less than 1/2" across despite all the time they've had to grow so far), I'd much rather attempt if the opportunity arises crosses with species like filiformis, capensis, if it's possible (and theoretically it should be) things like affinis or madagascariensis, etc.
Also, while some fertile hybrids are interesting, I personally would much rather retain most of mine as sterile; lineage can't be crossed back and confused with anything later on and my crosses like brevifolia x tokaiensis (brevi x spat I can't say for certain is an actual success yet; still very, very young) are more than prolific enough as they are.

Nice drosera. All the mucilage on that schizandra really catches the light in a great way. Almost a silvery sheen.

Back