What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis 'Albino' x "typical" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
With new flowers come new crosses! As many of my prior attempts have failed, retrying with this cape version crossed with oblanceolata and spatulata "Gold Coast" so far.
D. capensis 'Albino' x "typical" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
D. venusta by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
D. capensis 'Albino' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
D. capensis 'Albino' by Hawken Carlton, on FlickrD. natalensis x 'Tom Turpin' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
This I may finally be inclined to believe is actually a NZ spatulata; it's smaller and quite distinct from my other spat forms
D. spatulata "Ahipara Gumfields, NZ" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Your Ahipara Gumfields spatulata looks genuine. I used this one to make my brevifolia x spatulata pictured on this page:

https://www.carnivorousplants.org/cp/evolution/DroseraHybrids

- Ivan Snyder AKA the evil Dr. FrankenSnyder

That's reassuring. Still getting to to grow right (may need to find a different location in the greenhouse, or a bigger pot), but I have D. brevifolia x spatulata 'Tamlin' growing, and it's flowered a couple times.
Got nothing so far on the Coloane Island or Denniston Plateau spatulata seeds so far though...

Only on photo in here for now, but it's a nice plant...compared to the Hawaiian forms (or at least how they grow for me), this is a monster
D. anglica Germany by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I really like this pink flowered D. brevifolia. I had one myself years ago, also from Texas. I also have a white flowered plant from North Carolina. Years ago I crossed the two. The hybrid did not make any pollen but made seed when I used pollen from another plant.

I know there are populations that are incompatible with each other, and I hope eventually to try crossing the white form I have (no locality data, just came as brevi) with the pink...but first I need seeds from pinkie for a good seedbank.

I have seed of brevifolia white flower from Hempstead NC for you. There is much more variation in brevifolia ranging in South America. And, I have a hunch burkeana in Africa may actually be brevifolia.

Still hoping I may one day convince this forest to bloom
D. scorpioides "Pink Flower" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And D. regia was looking fairly good...
D. regia by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Then ironically for this species, I went and fed them and most of the leaves rotted....hopefully the slow-release osmocote will get them running again, or cooler fall conditions.
D. regia by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The all-green venusta in this pot (that the regular version belongs in) look good. The pot they're supposed to be in, naturally, not so much...
D. venusta AF by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And this guy recently got repotted, hoping for greater size (and some plantlets).
D. natalensis x 'Tom Turpin' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Awesome dews!

Do you grow any of your tuberous sundews from seed?

As of right now, all of them. Every one that's come from tubers (zigzagia, aberrans, etc.) have died for whatever reason. Aberrans in particular just doesn't seem to like my conditions, or the soil that it came in and my conditions combined...

Truly I love this capillaris form
D. capillaris "Hal Scott, FL" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
graomo shortly before repotting
D. graomogolensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
D. graomogolensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Rarely catch them open...still working on the pink Hardin County plants, but the white-flowered ones never stop (this one was even transplanted from another pot and did not give a care)
D. brevifolia "white flower" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Slowly concluding basically all of my "hookeri" are actually gunniana
D. gunniana "Northlands, NZ" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
D. gunniana "Northlands, NZ" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
D. gunniana "orange/red, Conara TZ" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Back