What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiply Me: D. schizandra

Thought it was time I share how I was able to turn 3 D. schizandra into many, in just a matter of months.
Here's the original thread of when I first started this D. schizandra container. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/133152-upgrade-D-schizandra
Since then the plants became pretty well established root wise. Once I knew 100% the root structure was there, I simply cut the tops off of the adults (I repotted/re-rooted them individually). Thus leaving behind all of their old roots in the growing container.
Today I checked on the container's progess for the first time in a couple months. And here's what it looks like thus far..

All 4 sides look like this:

And the bottom of the container:

Wow! That's a lot of plantlets.

Awesome! That's kinda the same thing I did with my D. adelae by mistake...wonder if it would work with prolifera...

Awesome! That's kinda the same thing I did with my D. adelae by mistake...wonder if it would work with prolifera...

Oh, it'll work..
The only reason I left that D. prolifera plant in the schizandra tank is because it was impossible to completely remove the entire plant and it's roots. Not to mention the half dozen plantlets that are forming on the proliferating flower stalks.

Looks like one of my plants is gonna get the old snip snip when I get home.

Looks like one of my plants is gonna get the old snip snip when I get home.

I let mine be. Wanted it to multiply as little as possible in the schizzy tank. Regret ever putting it in there..

Scratch that. Decided to remove as much of the prolifera from the schizandra tank as I could. I know a little bit of the root was left behind, but otherwise the majority of the plant has been relocated.
Really wanted the one tank to be dedicated completely to D. schizandra.
.. will update again come spring/summer.

Trade material?

Back