What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've germinated D. falonceri, D. paradoxa and several hybrids. No special treatment, just sown into pots, bagged and put in the tank with the rest of my Petiolaris plants. They like higher temps to germinate than I normally keep my tanks, thus the lower germination rates. I've given seed to several growers and they've had success germinating them.

Sean Samia who is probably the best petiolaris complex grower in the US posted these tips:
http://icps.proboards.com/post/30168

The plants don't look as good right now, but here are some pictures from the summer:

001_zps47bd8768.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
027_zps4353f76e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
029_zpsb0b83f0b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

026_zps2ca43697.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
031_zpsa6622329.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rcl27 and Not a Number - thank you very much for your help! The seed is such a precious commodity that it is not something I want to risk planting in ignorance. :)

Very nice, jimscott! What species is the third one? 'Looks like D. kenneallyi to me but I'm not sure. A hybrid, maybe?

Anyone know what species/hybrid this is?
r9revq.jpg

Very nice, jimscott! What species is the third one? 'Looks like D. kenneallyi to me but I'm not sure. A hybrid, maybe?

That was one of Sean's hybrids: a falconeri x caduca.

That looks cool how it is almost a cup trap. I am hoping all of my pollination works out. I have been pollinating kenneallyi at the moment but my falconeri, broomensis, and paradoxas just started opening up. My lanatas should also be opening in the next few days. I am thinking I am going to keep them all species only but I might spare a few broomensis flowers to mate with my lone falconeri. I haven't been able to find that hybrid yet. Well that search consisted of just going to cpphotofinder but close enough to a thorough Internet search! Haha.

Anyone know what species/hybrid this is?
r9revq.jpg

I am very tempted to say 'it looks like a bit of x and a bit of y' but without actually having seen the same plant it would just be a guess. I would say it is cool-looking and I suspect it is a hybrid.

Thanks! I just got into growing these plants and I must say they are beautiful. I also have paradoxa.

I think it is time for a new petiolaris complex grow space. I just filled my 75g tank and still have more caduca to split up. Sorry the pictures were taken rather quickly so not the best quality. Starting at top left in vertical columns:

3 broomensis, 3 darwiniensis, 1 dormant brevicornis (cant see)
1 regular caduca (2 plants), 2 fulva (3 plants total), 1 ordensis, 1 derbyensis, 1 falconeri (2 plants),
1 regular caduca, 2 paradoxa (3 plants from Czech Rep.), 3 paradoxa (all divisions from Bluemax)
About 30 caduca wide leaf (13 in top two pots all crammed together)
bicalcarata, ampullaria lime twist, mirabilis var. echinostoma (2 plants)
About 20 lanata + 3 from Bluemax
About 40 kenneallyi

Holy crap.

Awesome! I'm still working on upgrading to a 29 gallon tank and you've filled a 75 gallon!

That is crazy!! I havent gotten my hands on a single plant and you have a jungle! Great job.

Just bite the bullet and go for the 75g! Oh Mark talked to CPS again. We are waiting until the end of April to ship everything. If that is far enough out I can see if we can combine the shipping. I keep forgetting to call the inspection station to see if they could forward your half of the order to cut down on shipping time. Maybe we can send a prepaid USPS priority label/box to them to make it easier?

And thanks for the compliments. I just ordered some more large wire shelves for the grow room and am hoping to build a "hot house" rack. I'm afraid by the time I finish it though the temps in the garage will get so high that I'll be freaking out about my nepenthes instead of my petiolaris dews!

rcl27 - A 75 gallon tank would be bigger than my main terra, ha! I will be looking forward to seeing more of your collection.

Holy cow, somebody is taking advantage of their lowland conditions! I'm loving that N. bicalcarata - that is the size where it will start taking off rapidly. It's good to see it amongst a sea of petiolaris sundews!!!

Last edited:
My paradoxa flowered a couple weeks ago, and it is sending up another stalk. The leaves have really shrunk though.

dfkqwp.jpg

Got a Drosera lanata a couple of weeks ago and fed it for the first time yesterday. I was worried the tiny leaves wouldn't be able to handle ants but it turned out okay. It looks to be in better shape than it was when I first got it but I'm worried that it will get squished into the side of the tub once it gets bigger. The ant should give you an idea of the size of the plant. Pictures taken on April 19 and April 27.

2qxtbhx.jpg

2i8f72w.jpg

Congrats on the new D. lanata! 'Definitely one of my very favorite sundews.

I use a mixture of cool white and a plant light tubes. The plants seem very happy, they flower like clockwork every year and the D. faloneri get nice and red.

Back