What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separating hibernacula

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I have a newbie question with it comes to d. filiformis. I have been growing this plant for years and decided to repot this plant this spring. I noticed about 5 buds and wondered if the plant could be separated into 5 plants? I have always been alittle confused on how to divide this drosera, and need some guidance.

You can either rip them apart with your hands or slice them with a sharp knife or a razor blade. Just make sure to try and keep some roots attached to each division. Even if you end up with a few without roots, it's likely they'll be fine.

Awesome! thanks for the info. seems simple enough.

Do they look like they are ready, or should i let them wake up a bit more?

Do it before they wake up. I've found that messing around with dormant plants always seems to stress them less.

Agreed, they can easily be separated as they are right now. As a plus, as they start waking up and unfurling the first, non-carnivorous wide leaves, you can pull those, and they will root and grow on their own really quickly.

Agreed, they can easily be separated as they are right now. As a plus, as they start waking up and unfurling the first, non-carnivorous wide leaves, you can pull those, and they will root and grow on their own really quickly.
Didn't know that--pretty cool

It was a lot easier than I thought. They pulled apart very easily. I only had to man handle one of them. Most of them had good roots attached. One had very little but I will see how it grows.

Then end result:

Back