What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do any drosera tolerate less sun?

do all drosera require lots of sun? are there any that are just as happy in bright light? maybe some sun in the morning? Ive grown drosera in the past but got tired of them because they always needed lots of sun and theyre tentacles (glands) were beginning to grow deformed, they looked short undeveloped and dewless. I want to try to grow some again.

Drosera adelea did fine for me under T-12 florescent shop lights. Hates bright sun

The Queensland 3 prefer shaded conditions.

Drosera regia is able to grow in partial sun. Mine gets a few hours each day, but it's pretty shaded.

That list is just about it for shade-tolerant dews. D. regia does in fact do well in partial sun, as said above, but it still prefers either a few hours of direct light or constant strong artificial light, and the Queensland sisters are rather shade tolerant, going from shade loving schizandra (though it is a pain in the butt to grow due to numerous other reasons) to D. adelae which can certainly tolerate shady conditions, but can stand direct sun for a few hours quite nicely (and gains a lovely red hue when in such conditions).

As said Adelae just needs bright indirect Sun but WILL tolerate a little morning and late afternoon Sun. I also find that Scorpioides will do o.k. without sun but bright indirect Sun. Spatualta will also tolerate less Sun.

tropical spathulata are commonly found in very shaded conditions, I have even found them growing with Adelae, as do certain burmanni localities, but other burmanni I have tied have failed so I guess you would need a large green variety (as these are the ones that do best in shade for me)

Interesting about the tropical spathulata, I've got just the shady spot I'll have to give them a try.

Interesting about the tropical spathulata, I've got just the shady spot I'll have to give them a try.

Absolutely! They are great plants and flower readily.

Back