What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Drosera Hamiltonii with petiolaris drosera

Hey I've heard that drosera hamiltonii is very heat tolerant and i was wondering if I could grow these plants alongside Petiolaris Drosera? If anyone has experience with this plant your advice would be appreciated!:hail:

I don't know if D. hamiltonii is heat tolerant but it certainly isn't drought tolerant. What are you going to do if your petiolaris go dormant and you have to let the substrate dry out?

D.Burmanni, Spathulata, Indica, Banksii, lunata and peltata all grow with the petiolaris complex in the wild, so any of them would be fine, and tropical strains of peltata, also lunata, can happily grow without a dormancy for years, or be given a drought (as with petiolaris).

I have no experience with Hamiltonii, but I would image they would tolerate heat for part of the year but may need a cooler period in winter as they live in a much cooler region than the petiolaris complex.
My understanding of their environment is that Hamiltonii can get days as hot as 35-38C on occasion, but predominantly get much cooler days of 25-30C in summer and frost in winter, much like Cephalotus.

D.Burmanni, Spathulata, Indica, Banksii, lunata and peltata all grow with the petiolaris complex in the wild, so any of them would be fine, and tropical strains of peltata, also lunata, can happily grow without a dormancy for years, or be given a drought (as with petiolaris).

I have no experience with Hamiltonii, but I would image they would tolerate heat for part of the year but may need a cooler period in winter as they live in a much cooler region than the petiolaris complex.
My understanding of their environment is that Hamiltonii can get days as hot as 35-38C on occasion, but predominantly get much cooler days of 25-30C in summer and frost in winter, much like Cephalotus.

If tuberous sundews don't go dormant, how do they manage to keep catching insects? Don't they grow to a certain height and then stop growing until they come out of dormancy again?

My Lunata have not gone dormant in a few years, some plants I let go dormant but a few I have kept separate, they just get thicker stems and branch as opposed to climbing like a vine, they also make new tuber a lot quicker.

If you want your hamiltonii to bloom, it will need a cooler period not 'recommanded' for petiolaris.
Also, the hamiltonii type I grow cannot sustains as much light as other drosera can so you could end up roasting them too.

Back