What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera regia cuttings in water

Has anyone ever tried starting Drosera regia cuttings in water? John Brittnacher says it might be possible but I haven't found much information about it on the web. Do you think it would be possible? There are a few leaves on my regia that probably got shocked during shipping and lost their dew so I'm thinking about cutting one of them and trying to propagate it that way.

I know people have succeeded with this on rare occasions, but it's very difficult. Most people take sparse root cuttings or wait for their plants to multiply on their own (which they eventually do through the roots) like I will probably do.

Ihavent gotten leaf cuttings to work but this may be due to starved plants
I just recently added some osmocote and I am going to be feeding heavily for a few weeks then try again

I have a strong feeling you may be able to do it if the plant is healthy and well-fed to begin with. I encourage you to try. I'll be doing the same thing in half a year or so once my D. regia plantlet grows out.

At the very least, if it can't be rooted in water, I want to come to a better understanding of why. Almost everything else in the same family seems to have no trouble at all.

D. regia is genetically very divergent from the rest of the Drosera genus. It and its closer relatives like the arcturi sundews have similar issues, much like some pygmy and tuberous dews have as well. Could be something linked to the genetic makeup of the plant then in this case, something preventing leaves from surviving long enough to make plantlets, or having a lack of the right stem cells to do the job.

The first one I tried two days ago has sunk down into the water, so I don't think it will be successful. Granted, it was an older leaf that didn't have any mucilage on it. Are the best leaves for leaf cuttings fully developed leaves or undeveloped leaves?

Forget about leaf cuttings.. root cuttings are the way to go. These root cuttings were placed on LFS floating in water about 6 weeks ago:

Does it need to be live sphagnum, or would dead long-fiber sphagnum be fine? The plants look great! I might try it when I transplant my regia into a larger pot.

Does it need to be live sphagnum, or would dead long-fiber sphagnum be fine? The plants look great! I might try it when I transplant my regia into a larger pot.

I use dead for this. That way I don't have to worry about the live LFS quickly outgrowing any sprouts.

Back