What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hibernaculum questions?

• Thread starter monkey_Cup
  • Start date
I was curious, do all hibernaclum? Usually all appear at once for all species, or can they appear weeks later? Thanks for info

can vary on species and even individual plants
for example one of my spatualtas here randomly formed one for what seemed like no reason, no other plants did
11cbfxc.jpg

if all my plants went into dormancy at the same exact time id probably be a little freaked out

That's probably because those spatulatas are tokaiensis, the hybrid with rotundifolia. The latter plant does go dormant, and under the right conditions the hybrid will too. Different species from different regions fall asleep at varying times of the year. My D. intermedia MA go dormant a good 3 weeks to a month before the Carolina plants do, and the Carolina plants a month before the FL filiformis fell asleep.

im 99% sure these were spatulata kanto
its what I bought them as, and kanto does look a lot like tokaiensis
but I could be wrong

The clumping habit, wide lamina, and multiple flower stalks all match both my tokaiensis and x tokaiensis plants. The so-called 'Kanto' plants, if they are the true spatulata form, are very squat with wide lamina, but also tend to be rather hairy and the lamina rather gradually widen like other spat forms usually do, and often take on a deep red color which the tokai plants never seem to reach. A lot of the Kanto plants in cultivation are mislabeled tokaiensis plants anyway.

mine also got very red, and most of the year they would stay low to the ground, though Ive also seen many red tokaiensis, the cphotofinder also shows many pics of young kanto's with multiple stalks that look identical to mine

and here example of one suspected kanto that I didn't feed for a while
710o0l.jpg

short, red, hairy
I still think they were labeled right, as Kanto. but actually proving either side seems near impossible

Last edited:
That one looks like Kanto, but the pic before didn't (I need to get mine sprouting so I can compare the two).
Anyway, though, spatulata is known to have tropical, subtropical, and temperate forms, and some varieties do go dormant. The entire species, therefore, may have the genetics to form hibernacula, but most just don't as they never need to.

D. spatulata is one of the rosetted species that (as I call it) "craps out" and goes into a semi-dormant stage, usually soon after flowering. I don't consider it hibernacula since they do it at random times not related much to season. Well fed plants are more likely to recover from "crapping out". Many times they continue to decline and eventually die.

If a plant puts out a hibernaculum, and it gets frost killed, can it come out again? Thanks, for your time.

I have a D. spathulata that has some type of aphids on it. They don't go anywhere else, and I have been too lazy to submerge it or otherwise try to get rid of them. I can only see them with a jewelers loop, and the plant keeps getting smaller and smaller. Anyone know of a way to kill them without chemicals or oils?

If a plant puts out a hibernaculum, and it gets frost killed, can it come out again? Thanks, for your time.

yes, it can come back from the roots so give it around a month tops and if nothing sprouts then you can probably assume its dead

Back