What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battered Drosera regia

To make a long story short, I was idiotically running around today with a Drosera regia in my backpack, and it tipped over multiple times and was pretty beat up. When I stopped I scooped what soil I could back into the pot and left it in my sealed backpack for five hours so it wouldn't dry out.

As soon as I got home, I took a close look at it and basically all of the leaves were severely damaged. The roots seem to be intact to me and they are still white, so I repotted it on the off chance that it could somehow survive.

This is what it looks like now:

DSC_0425_1.jpg

DSC_0426_1.jpg

It is lopsided in the pot because I found out that its roots are leaning towards one side and I didn't want to further stress it out by squishing its roots. Originally it was already growing a little crooked in the pot. Is there anything I can do to increase its chances of survival?

I learned a painful lesson today: never put time over plants (at least not in the way I did)! :-( And I can only imagine what plants go through when improperly packaged for shipping.

Last edited:
When it comes to recovering dews I usually just raise the water level to just below the soil line. Granted that usually just works for me in the summer or when it's hot. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would take this opportunity to try some root cuttings as the plant is already stressed out a bit. You could carefully rinse the potting media from the leaves to help it out some more. Do you normally have it under lights? I think good light would help make it come back faster.

I think it will be fine. Consider what a plant in the wild might look like after a heavy storm.

Just give it enough light and keep the conditions mild, and it will work itself out. It's a good idea to take Dave's advice and do some cuttings, too.

I agree with what has been said and would add that raised humidity often helps plants that are damaged get their footing again.

Thank you for the advice everyone! I have washed what dirt I could on the leaves and put a plastic bag with holes over the plant. I don't really have live LFS for the root cuttings and I'm also afraid of disturbing it more, so I didn't take any. If it survives, I'll take a few in a month when I repot it into a much larger pot.

I'll post in this thread whether it survives or not. I think a small developing leaf was undamaged, but I'll have to wait and see if it grows or not. I have my fingers crossed!

Just for future reference - I take regia root cuttings, and from other Drosera species, and put them on top of previously dried lfs in a small, undrained plastic cup. I lightly and partially cover them with the sphagnum and keep the water level just over the top of them. When they have sprouted out and have several fully-developed leaves I clip the roots between them. Awhile later I begin to lower the water level to encourage rooting of the new plantlets.

Just for future reference - I take regia root cuttings, and from other Drosera species, and put them on top of previously dried lfs in a small, undrained plastic cup. I lightly and partially cover them with the sphagnum and keep the water level just over the top of them. When they have sprouted out and have several fully-developed leaves I clip the roots between them. Awhile later I begin to lower the water level to encourage rooting of the new plantlets.

Thanks for the info! It sounds simpler than I thought it would be, and I definitely have dead LFS so I will try it when I get a chance.

On a related note:

What kind of lighting do you guys use? Why can I not get this species to grow with any sort of vigor or strength? No matter what the plant just doesn't increase in leaf size or rate of growth.

D. regia in my experience won't grow unless regularly fed.
The roots of this species grow rather deep, so taller pots are best.
I never found it to be particularly fussy, unless over fertilized. Seems to grow best under bright light. Since it is a sundew afterall..
Root cuttings are best for propagation. Just be sure to leave the largest root behind for the mother plant. As re-rooting a severed head can be more difficult with regia than most drosera.
I agree completely with Mark's root prop technique. Dead LFS works best for this method. I took root cuttings of my last plant the day it arrived, and one month later:

Last edited:
Is humidity a key component to starting Drosera root cuttings or just a high water level?

On a related note:

What kind of lighting do you guys use? Why can I not get this species to grow with any sort of vigor or strength? No matter what the plant just doesn't increase in leaf size or rate of growth.

I use 4 48" T5 florescents at about a foot above the plants for lighting. I've also had some luck growing them out of doors in one of my bog pots but the low-20's temps this winter have probably put an end to that. I don't know why they have often seemed delicate to me but I agree that feeding is important.

Last edited:
Back