What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robster_24's Carnivorous Plants

Hey in this thread I will post pictures of my Petiolaris complex drosera, and other carnivorous plants I grow. My collection is small now, but in this thread I will post more pictures as my collection grows!

Before and after pics of my Drosera Falconeri when it arrived in the mail and what it looks like today.

Before,

After, (ignore the food on the leaves)

Last edited:
It looks a lot redder than when you got it. The developing leaves sure look like Dionaea leaves to me.

I'm guessing that your light levels are pretty high, which is generally a good thing for sundews. 'Looks great. Regular feeding sure makes a difference to my plants.

Last edited:
Ya well, the paradoxa when I got it it turned completely red from adjusting to my conditions after being shipped, but the new growth is green. I think when leaves are used to lower light levels the turn really red once exposed to more intense light. however once the plant gets used to the conditions it won't be as red with new growth, in my experience.
first arrived,

then,

new growth in new conditions,

Well hopefully it doesn't happen to your falconeri.

From what I've seen of D. falconeri they like to be all red when the light is bright enough.

About the falconeri, the new growth is smaller than the growth before I received it. Should I be concerned or is it just adjusting to my conditions? Your input is much appreciated.

a resent pic...

I also had a theory that since it has been given more light than before, are the leaves just smaller because the plant isn't worried about photosynthesis as as much before?sort of similar to a venus flytrap when given more light. I mean the lamina are the same size if not bigger, the leaves are also much redder than before. Then again shouldn't the plant be growing bigger leaves since it is so small? either way I hope the plant will be ok. Thanks for your consideration!

Last edited:
I've noticed that when I've received plants grown under lower lights than my conditions their new growth is redder, and also smaller, same as you. I've seen this in 3 or 4 different species, and it just seems to be the plant's response to high light. I worried about it at first, but as long as the plant continues putting out new leaves it's probably fine.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see... hopefully it will start growing bigger and its not going dormant. I don't think this should happen though, my conditions are no lower than 70 at night and 95 to 110 daytime. I have the plants in humidity domes for now before I can acclimate them to lower humidity.

I've noticed that when I've received plants grown under lower lights than my conditions their new growth is redder, and also smaller, same as you. I've seen this in 3 or 4 different species, and it just seems to be the plant's response to high light. I worried about it at first, but as long as the plant continues putting out new leaves it's probably fine.

I agree. Higher light levels usually cause some decrease in leaf size in Drosera. Notice how the petioles on the leaves that have grown in your conditions have a darker color to them. I'd say the plant is adapting to higher light conditions and is doing fine. Since it is a small, immature plant I would expect it will continue to get larger overall with time. It looks very healthy to me.

Ya, it does look fine and I'll continue to hope for the best.

Today, I cut the off-set on my D. Paradoxa and I hope the plantlet will root itself and survive!

You can see that the mother plant has sent out roots under the new growth, I think I'll raise the soil up to the new growth to cover up those roots.

Last edited:
Wow! That plantlet developed very quickly.

I know its only a week or two old! but the mother was growing really slow as it grew so I guess all the energy went into the plantlet's deveopment

Rob

I think you may be right about the leaves being smaller when they have bright light, makes sence to me, just like if plants are staved for light they grow real tall trying to get more light.

Maybe off topic but, I grow flytraps outdoors year round in full sun, and I have seen some grown in greenhouses that are redder than mine, so I think there is more to the coloring than just the amount of light.

Last edited:
I think with the coloring on the traps not only has to do with the amount of light it gets, like you said, but it probably has to with the over all health of the plant, and most importantly the genes the plant has, determine the color more than anything I'm sure.

Petiolaris Complex Update,

The D. Paradoxa is finally growing bigger leaves now that I removed it's off-shoot.

You can see the leaves that grew when the plant was growing the plantlet were smaller than the previous leaves...

Here's a quick comparison as to how much it grew since I had it...

Now...

Here's the falconeri as of now, I took some pullings of the old leaves, I'm not sure what the black dots on the Lamina are but, they don't seem to be harming the plant so I'm not worrying( It might be soil from when I removed the old leaves).

Back