What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia stratification question

Bio

Plant Whisperer
So, I ordered seeds of D. rotundifolia from a nursery owned by a well known educator in Maryland, and wanted to know if they were already stratified. I assumed they weren't and they have been on the fridge for several weeks now. I would like to know if that was a good idea, and if anyone else has germinated seed from him.

Doubt it'll be a problem one way or the other. Rotundifolia need stratification, and I did so with mine (water floated in the fridge for a few months... I completely forgot about them). My seed weren't from him, though - snagged them from the seed bank.

I'd just plant the seed, wait a bit and see what happens. I got a good germination rate out of mine. Otherwise if you're worried you could always email him to see whether they were pre-stratified or not (I would have, as you did, assumed not).

Even if stored in the fridge, it's best to give rotundifolia at least a 4 week stratification. I ended up with hundreds of plants...

Back