What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dialsiana problems

Over the last week my plants have started to look like crap. I have also noticed the newest leafs are coming in very small. I feed the plants once a week with crumbled freeze dried blood worms. I also replace water every day with distilled. Plants get full sun from 7am to 1. Temps have been in the high 80s to low 90s for the past couple of weeks. Please help. Plants were in flower but I cut spikes off because they looked stressed. I'm working on loading a photo.

AABJo1SEMp4cNfsdYQSljg7Ia

There might be a pest on them. Check if the middle of the rosettes have any insects like aphids on them, especially if the new leaves are deformed.

I see nothing wrong with these plants.....they look healthy enough, what exactly is the problem? They have good color, dew in large amounts, it appears they have new growth...if the plants are experiencing higher light levels than they formerly had, color will increase and leaf size will drop some, and they often shrink a little when they flower...
oh, and unless the seeds are very nearly round, these are probably natalensis, dielsiana is almost nonexistent currently in cultivation.

Thanks for all the input. I will keep an eye on them and post more pics I'd it seems to get worse.

What Carlton said. For grins and chuckles, I received a few plants a couple weeks ago and they are all sending up flower stalks. Not the best picture, but here's the only opened flower I could capture:

And for comparison sake, here are the plants:

I'm thinking the 95 Temps are stressing them out? It's the only condition that's change.

If they seem a little weather worn, that could be it. But natalensis is a South African plant, they will endure such temperatures in habitat on occasion. If the nights are any cooler they should be fine.

If they seem a little weather worn, that could be it. But natalensis is a South African plant, they will endure such temperatures in habitat on occasion. If the nights are any cooler they should be fine.

But if the temps are that high long term...

Eh, mine endure fairly high temps throughout summer in my greenhouse, probably averaging at 87+ for a few months....

If they're close to flowering I notice that SA dews will get smaller leaves. Also if they're not being fed enough the leaves will shrink.

Back in May I had D. admirabilis outside. Got smaller leaves the minute it began flowering. Temps between 80 and 90. I clipped the stalk and boom, leaves back to normal. Had some D. spatulata doing the same thing. Sprayed em with food 2x a week, did not clip the flowers, and the leaves grew bigger.

IMO it means you have outstanding conditions and the plants just want to grow!

Jim, those are likely not D. dielsiana. The flower stalks should be straight or rarely somewhat curved below, and hairy at the base. The stigma should not be divided at the tips.

As mentioned earlier, almost no one actually has dielsiana. They're all likely widely mislabeled natalensis (not that the two species look all that different to your average grower).

Jim, those are likely not D. dielsiana. The flower stalks should be straight or rarely somewhat curved below, and hairy at the base. The stigma should not be divided at the tips.

In the words of Rod Stewart, "Oh no, not again!" In the words of T.D, "D. roundandstickia"?

They'll stickya every time!

D. natalensis?

Back