What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird plant

Hi,

I've got a strange plant growing with some of my Drosera. Not sure what it is though.
Does anyone have any idea?

photo2-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

My guess is some type of utricularia. It looks like it's sending up flowers. When it does, it'll be easier to identify what species is it.

Last edited:
That is the dreaded Utricularia bisquamata. I say "dreaded" because if you allow it to set seed (which it does prolifically) you will never be rid of it - it will invade every pot you have. I wish I'd never had the stuff hitchhike in plants I bought, because its in most of my Sarracenia collection now, and I will never be rid of it. Many people don't mind it, but if I were you, I'd remove it all now, while you have the chance.

Oh so it's bladderworts? "Utricularia, commonly and collectively called the bladderworts, is a genus of carnivorous plants consisting of approximately 233 species"

Is it bad for my other Carnivorous plants though?

It's a nice Utricularia, when confined to its own pot and vigorously segregated from every other plant in your collection. But no, it's perfectly harmless. It'll just grow everywhere unless you manage it.

I quite like U. bisquamata, it can just make your pots look messy when it's blooming, and it's always blooming. I also don't like the sporangia on my moss growing up around everything for the same reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!
I see three of the plants I bought have got Utricularia in them. And one has got a moss growing around it and looks like it's overgrowing my poor little D. Admirabilis :0o:

photo-1.jpg

Of all the plants I lost this past winter there were a few tropical species who survived under the moss while their pure-soil brethren froze to death. Moss can be beneficial that way. It also keeps the top layer of the soil solid, ensuring that perlite or peat fibres won't float into your Drosera leaves in a top-watering event. Moss keeps the landscape static.
Also, don't worry! Moss won't do anything to seedlings (in my 14 year experience I've never had a seedling succumb to any bryophyte, though others may have different experience). Well grown moss can be very attractive!

I deliberately introduce U. bisquamata into all my pots. It's pretty! :eek:

Last edited:
I do the same, but I tend to introduce U. sandersonii 'blue' instead of U. bisquamata. Personal preference mostly.

Thanks for the info!
I see three of the plants I bought have got Utricularia in them. And one has got a moss growing around it and looks like it's overgrowing my poor little D. Admirabilis :0o:

photo-1.jpg

There's also some U. bisquamata with your admirabilis. Bottom left of the plant in the picture

For weedy Utrics I like U. livida, but really, why choose? I think they're all really adorable.

Do most terrestrial Utrics invade their neighboring pots?

Do most terrestrial Utrics invade their neighboring pots?
I'd assume so, but U. bisquamata doesn't seem to be particularly malignant. It only becomes a weed by seed and it doesn't usually choke out anything; stolons are sparse.
I recall that the CPN had an article in June 2007 about the containment of Utricularia on account of their tendency to invade other pots by running through the drainage holes. Apparently, Utrics can become a serious hazard if not monitored (I'm thinking U. longifolia here).

Last edited:
Good info! Thanks!

Just happy everything is growing well :-D

Back