What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rinsed with potential mineral water....

Hello,

I recently repotted some of my carnivorous plants. This house has a built-in RO system, so our water is low mineral. The house system has so many other filters too, the water goes through (literally) five filtrations before reaching the faucet. However, I did not realize until now that the garage bypasses the RO system, so that water is pretty much as it is in the aquifer (we are on well water).
I have been watering the plants with RO water for the past week. There does not seem to be much change yet.
Should I get rid of the soil and remix or rinse the soil with RO water? Do you think the peat/sand should be okay since it was only exposed to the regular water once?

I went ahead and changed my Regia peat/sand out of precaution, I do not want to lose that plant! But if I might be okay with the others, I would like to spare them the stress of another transplantation.

Thanks for any input!

Do you know the TDS of the water ? Check that before hitting the panic button. Even if it does have high TDS and you've been using it, a few good flushes with RO should clean it out sufficiently.

Do you know the TDS of the water ? Check that before hitting the panic button. Even if it does have high TDS and you've been using it, a few good flushes with RO should clean it out sufficiently.

Thanks for the reply Cthulhu138!

I remember calculating TDS in General Chemistry!

I believe it was considered high in the water, I do not remember an exact number though. By "flushing," do you mean rinsing water repeatedly in in the pot or taking the soil out and rinsing it before putting it back in?

Just flushing the pots repeatedly should do it. I see no reason to repot unless the water is really horrible.

Okay, I will try that then. There was a slight problem with sulfur and iron bacteria causing odors before additional filtration was added, but it was not considered undrinkable after testing.

Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Yeah, a few good flushes should do it. Barry Rice notes in his FAQ that he accidentally watered a whole collection of nepenthes once with saltwater meant for a reef aquarium, and they were perfectly fine after flushing with RO water.

LOL Ooops!

Yeah, a few good flushes should do it. Barry Rice notes in his FAQ that he accidentally watered a whole collection of nepenthes once with saltwater meant for a reef aquarium, and they were perfectly fine after flushing with RO water.

I am so glad to hear this, I was not too worried about my Pinguiculas since I believe they are okay with high mineral water, but I know that most Drosera can be killed by it. I managed to rinse the other pot through seven times, so hopefully they will survive.

I was worried about the one Regia I transplanted, it has been struggling lately for some reason. But a new budding leaf grew noticeably since this morning, so I guess that is a good sign. I previously had it in a sandier mix, I repotted it because I thought the mix might not have retained enough water. My other Regia is doing fine for some reason. I guess that is why so many people complain about the difficulty in growing them. I also placed this plant in a sunnier window, hoping that will help. Other plants sometimes blocked its sun in the other window, while the other one was right up front.

If you've only watered your plants with the mineral water a few times, they'll be fine if--what else?--you flush the soil. I myself have used such forms of water in absolute emergencies when no purified water was on hand and witnessed no ill effects. Plants really only begin becoming unhealthy if you use such water for prolonged periods of time.

Thanks for the input. I probably panic too much on some things, but I guess that is why my plants do so well, most of the time.

Back