What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera madagascariensis X capensis hybrid

I don't really get the appeal of drosera hybrids, it isn't like with nepenthes where many hybrids are much easier to grow than pure species.

I don't really get the appeal of drosera hybrids, it isn't like with nepenthes where many hybrids are much easier to grow than pure species.

Many are easier to grow, take D. x tokaiensis for instance. And with both genera it's not necessarily ease of growing, but the fact that the hybrid looks unique. Cross 2 Drosera with leaves that are completely different in shape and you end up with a unique looking hybrid.

sounds like you haven't been growing CPs for very long then

It's on its third leaf now and putting out a fourth

It's So Tiny!!!!
Please feed every leaf for quick growth. I want to see this plant mature!

"vigor" doesn't seem to be one of this hybrids attributes.. Thats it in the middle of two capensis seedlings that sprouted two weeks after (i put them there on purpose)

Eighth leaf so far, putting out a ninth:
eight_zps7243f1ea.jpg

Keep a close eye on it then. The hybrid seedlings that I get that move really, really slow tend to have about a 30% chance of making it. If they do, they often take off. If not, well, you'll find out quickly.

don't worry, i check my plants about 30 times a day hahah :D

i used an exacto knife to move some soil away from the plant so hopefully more oxygen can reach the roots. its sitting on a tiny pedestal of dirt now. I've always noticed that seedling on the edge of the pots grow faster and i think that may be because the roots get more oxygen. thats why i put those capensis seedlings on the edge and may also be a reason theyre so much bigger but capensis do grow fast anyways...

wait and see...

'Haven't seen this thread as I've been out of circulation until recently. Nice going! The little guy may be small but it looks healthy when you look at the full sized photo. For some reason capensis just seems to be one of the more interesting partners for a cross.

It's getting bigger and bigger but now it's starting to look like a regular madagascariensis. I really hope that's not the case :(

' For some reason capensis just seems to be one of the more interesting partners for a cross.

I 100% agree. If it's not a capensis hybrid it's not worth attempting IMO. All other hybrids look way too much alike to me.
I have 5 big fat seed pods ripening now that are a capensisXadmirabilis cross. I'm excited :D

While capensis is a fun one to hybridize, and my overall favorite, on it being the only worthy one to work with I'd have to disagree; I've got an affinis hybrid that is beyond unusual, and a couple others in the works without capensis that are plenty interesting.

If your madag x cape works out, I may have competition for you too: it looks like my attempt at capensis x affinis may well have succeeded. And my madags are flowering along with more capes, so I may repeat a former attempt at a cross between the two.

Last edited:
Affinis is already unique unto itself though. I meant the typical rossete X rosette crosses. they all look the same to me. im def interested in the outcome of your affinisXcape cross. If you have any nidiformis you should try crossing that with capensis. I've gotten it to work before but the seedlings were choked to death by moss and algae. :( That was before i learned about rinsing the peat moss before sowing seeds

I feel like anything crossed with a capensis becomes a super version of itself

Affinis is already unique unto itself though. I meant the typical rossete X rosette crosses. they all look the same to me. im def interested in the outcome of your affinisXcape cross. If you have any nidiformis you should try crossing that with capensis. I've gotten it to work before but the seedlings were choked to death by moss and algae. :( That was before i learned about rinsing the peat moss before sowing seeds

I feel like anything crossed with a capensis becomes a super version of itself

I'm sowing 300 sundew seeds today, and couldn't be happier that I read this about rinsing the peat just now. I'm also taking an interest in crossing Drosera, I have a capensis Alba and a spatulata flowering right now. Hoping for the best once I can get to the pollen.

Last edited:
Interesting... I do have nidiformis but it's a pain to get them to grow well in the greenhouse. Of course then I take them to sell in the local nursery and they flower immediately....
I'm kind of surprised you had nidiformis x capensis seedlings actually growing for a time, as that species is extremely closely allied with D. natalensis and dielsiana, which while they produce viable seeds when capensis crossed, the seedlings are unable to get past germination stage....

I agree to an extent with a lot of rosetted species, hence why I'm basically done crossing the spatulata/tokaiensis species group, too many do look very similar. Though there are still plenty that end up with a unique appearance, granted if one parent is very different looking from the typical rosette type. My aliciae x Lantau are a good example of that.

How's this cross coming along

it turned out to be a regular madagascariensis..

Ive since cross pollinated and germinated another batch of seedlings from both parents. something isnt working right with my pollinating

the madagascarXcapensis end up being all madagascariensis and the capensisXmadagascar are all regular capensis

i removed the pollen sacks and rinsed the flowers before pollinating.

i dont know what else i can do

i even had a chance to do a capensisXadmirabilis cross and ended up with all capensis

Don't sweat it, it's all good, I'm sure we'll see a hybrid of these from you one of these days :)

Back