What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera madagascariensis X capensis hybrid

Some of you may remember my old post about this. well i tried again and it seems i have had a successful germination! It's just a single seedling so far and i think i may need to work on my pollination technique but I GOT ONE :D

Congrats! I attempted capensis x affinis once but the flowers were somewhat deformed and nothing showed up. Hopefully I will be able to try again soon. I do have supposedly madagascariensis x affinis though...

That's very cool. Can't wait to see what this plant looks like as it grows. Feed every leaf! Get speedy growth! :D

And once it gets big enough, make those leaf cuttings and turn your 1 into a dozen!

Last edited:
... Huh. That... would be a really weird cross. :) Congrats on the strike, hopefully it's not a weed or an accidental Capensis self. :D

Oh oh, next up, do D. Madagascariensis x Filiformis 'Florida Red'. It'd be like a D. hybrida only, er, tall!

CapensisXaffinis should be possible. Last time i tried this I was also able to get some capensisXnidiformis to germinate but they were overwhelmed by moss/algae before they got very big :(

Last edited:
I've tried capensis x natalensis, but the seedlings never survive, I'd think with nidiformis being a close relative it'd be the same issue...
Hey mcantrell, I'm working on seeing if I can get filiformis x affinis seeds to work, with the leaf shape of affinis it's almost perfect for making a climbing hybrida. seeds were produced, hopefully it wasn't the filiformis selfed and they actually germinate.

I know this is off topic, but Indica plants readily cross here in the wild, there are 2 true forms, white and pink flowered, they cross to make pink centred and white tipped flowers (or sometimes reversed), then if the hybrid crosses with a pink (in some cases this occurs in the initial cross) they make mauve flowers.

I have crossed them myself with "pure sourced seed", e.g. some areas are isolated and only make the one colour, so I collected wild seed from these localities and started crossing.

Another interesting thing is that there are many indica physical variances, not just flower morphology, some localities are stunted, some are giant (2feet being no shock), others are slender, some heavy built, and even 3-4 generations on in cultivation they hold these traits.

I have recently sown some indica orange seed and am hoping to make a few crosses.

Now I have a question, I have white and pink flowered Spathulata, but I have never tried to cross them, would they have the same effect?

Cross a white and pink flowered spat, and the result will usually be a lighter pink flower. I've done this with spatulata 'Tamlin' x "Royal National Park, Sydney" and x "Beenak, Victoria" as well as growing the Ivan's 3-way cross which was done for a similar purpose.

Hcarlton how do you pollinate your sundews?

On topic: the seedling has formed its first true leaf with tentacles today :)

Hcarlton how do you pollinate your sundews?

On topic: the seedling has formed its first true leaf with tentacles today :)

I fully remove the anthers from both flowers and place the pollen packs onto the opposing flower. That way, little chance of contamination and a high chance of pollination since the pollen packs will break down somewhat and release all stored pollen even after the flowers close up.

Definitely want to see this cross when it matures, keep it alive :D

Can't wait to see what the adult plant looks like.

I fully remove the anthers from both flowers and place the pollen packs onto the opposing flower. That way, little chance of contamination and a high chance of pollination since the pollen packs will break down somewhat and release all stored pollen even after the flowers close up.

K that's what I do but sometimes I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've done it before and gotten incredible yield out of the pods but just recently I tried it with this cross and also did it on a couple of capensis broad leaf to get more seed and ended up with minimal seed count

Sometimes it just doesn't take, or the species aren't compatible.

Are there any cues as to when the stigma is most receptive? Or does that happen after it closes? When do the pollen sacks actually release the pollen?

The stigmas I think are receptive the whole time the flower is open, and I'm sure for some time after it closes, and the pollen... depends on the species. Most release it the second the flower opens, some it takes a few minutes to an hour.

It's on its third leaf now and putting out a fourth

Very cool!

Back