What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping Sundews With Flower Stalks

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Every once in awhile a hobbyist sends me a sundew that has a flower stalk. Shipped sundews almost always arrive in shock and they lose their dew. Flower stalks always stall for me and I end up having to cut them off, in disappointment. Do stalks ever survive shipping and continue growth?

I've sent you a few with flower stalks and wondered how they fared. Were the stalks damaged? I'm experimenting on ways to pack them. Normally I don't like to disturb Drosera while they are flowering but some like the man-made D. × tokaiensis flower constantly.

As we both know, the process of sending up flowers is energy intensive. Also, shipping is stressful. The combination of the two usually results in flower stalks that stall. Once in awhile they continue to develop. Unless we ship plants in pots, with domes, we will be shipping perfectly healthy plants and stress them out to some extent. I won't be sending anything with flower stalks, anymore, and I'll gut all stalks I receive.

Back