What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera admirabilis

I need to find out what is wrong with my d. admirabilis it seems to just be getting smaller and smaller as time goes by.
I have it in full sun
water with distilled water every so often.
it is in a 6inch pot
I tend to keep it on the dry side
temperate as been in the high 90s every few days

6aca5d4b-73e7-4358-8913-3446ccb6f5c3_zps93785a88.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
4082a5e7-1a8e-4a4f-9b01-d77301f2d31d_zps7d0dcb4c.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Yiikes, he's dead Jim. There's a chance a rootlet might spring up, but that main plant looks quite dead. With very hot weather, very intense sun, and dry media, a tropical plant is going to have trouble coping.

The plants I've grown seem to thrive under fluorescent tubes and room temperature conditions. I use the tray method of watering and haven't had any issues with that so far. I treat mine no different than any other tropical sundew I grow indoors.

You might try getting the media wet, bringing it inside, and hoping for a rootlet. If you're really bold, you could dig up the plant and lay the root sideways just below the surface.

Last edited:
thxs I will dig it up and try a root cutting, should I put it in soil or soapy lfs.

Yeah, you don't want soap in there... Moist/wet LFS is probably your best bet

yes I meant soupy.

This has turned out to be 1 of the top 3 most finicky dews I've grown. They have probably the longest roots out of all the Droseras. Followed by regia, and graomogolensis.. so tall pots are best.
I'm currently growing mine outdoors in a shaded GH, in sandy peat, and 1-2" of water. Media is always visibly moist..

IMG_6606_zpse5f33b78.jpg

I find this species to be somewhat on the weedy side. It quickly fills four and six inch pots and spreads to nearby pots. The saving grace is it is not very fertile and doesn't produce copious amounts of seed. I've found no difference in longevity between short or tall pots. Debbert's description contains clues towards its cultivation - found in the mountains near the Palmiet River in swampy areas, often in moss. This would suggest cooler montane conditions. The area is often described as Fynbos and the long roots would suggest the plants are adapted to periodic brush fires.

Often "decapitating" the plant (cutting off growth above ground) when the plant is in the last stages of decline (still some green) will result in the plant coming back from the roots. As mentioned above laying out the roots horizontally appears to facilitate this growth. The plants also can have less distance to travel to reach the surface. Standard CP mix, long fiber sphagnum or live Sphagnum works equally well, just keep it wet.

Back