What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these gemmae?

So I think my pygmy Drosera are making gemmae, and if they are I have a few questions.
1. When should I harvest the gemmae?
2. How should I harvest the gemmae?
and 3. Do I just plant them like seeds?

Here are the gemmae in question:
PVnfMgK.jpg

Yup. Those are gemmae. Wait until they can easily be removed with tweezers or picked off with a finger nail and just lay them on top of some media.

Definately gemmae. They now have the opportunity to spread into hundreds of other plantlets and take over :mwahaha:

Last edited:
Last edited:
As the others have said, those are definitely gemmae. Harvesting them shouldn't be too hard for you since they aren't surrounded by dew covered leaves. What I did was turn the pot upside down (using my thumb to make sure the media didn't slide out of the pot) and then scrape them off with a toothpick onto a new pot. I now have at least 30 D. omissa x pulchella sprouting with more on the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers guys :) Im glad these are gemmae as the plants in question arent doing too well. If they kick the bucket Ill atleast have these to restart my pygmies.

wow, i didn't know you can get more plants from gemmae. Now I'm going to do some research on this subject :) Thanks!!!

Do gamma only come from pygmie sundews?

Last edited:
wow, i didn't know you can get more plants from gemmae. Now I'm going to do some research on this subject :) Thanks!!!

I believe so. THey come from other species of plants, but pygmy drosera are the only CPs.

Here's a picture of one of my gemmae sprouting, got about 30 of these little guys now. Can't wait until the pot is covered with them.

UYfRAee.jpg

Liverworts and some other similar types of plants produce gammea as well as a bunch of cold temperate Pings.

Back