What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rainbows in the Midwest

Man I was so invested in Byblis last August, but now I've grown to see mine as a burden :-( Maybe if I can get some outdoors during the summer, I'll change my mind.

Byblis liniflora is absolutely one of my favorite species to grow. Nice work!

Nice write up and photography!

Now I just need all my seeds to start sprouting so I can make posts focusing on the different species; I had thought after the bleach treatment I would have already begun seeing germination on the new B. aquatica and guehoi, but so far nothing...

Good luck! Are they seeds from your own plants?

Half of the B. guehoi, yes; the rest are from another grower. I should also be actually receiving some new seeds from a grower in Australia in a couple weeks too, hopefully a chance to get more locales and species documented.

Well, bleach treatment on liniflora doesn't seem to work for me (they're all molding now), so I'll stick with just a water soak with that species...also nothing in most pots, but the method did manage to pull out two more guehoi!
Byblis guehoi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Byblis guehoi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Nice guehoi. I also have had trouble getting linflora to germinate sucessfully.

It's not that I have trouble germinating liniflora (they just take a little time), but I was just attempting something different to see if it would speed things up. When mold is the result, I'd say it didn't.
In other news though, a third guehoi has appeared...

The 3 guehoi are getting bigger...and I hope I get germination of some of the other new things and they follow (sadly, nothing from the recently acquired aquatica or rorida seeds...)
B. guehoi "Kimberleys" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Almost have at least a pair for every Byblis; still need another aquatica and filifolia "Pago Giant," and I need to see the perennials sprouting (new GA3 proved to work on rorida Lake Campion, but the rest haven't gone squat with it yet so I fret until they do). In the meantime though, update pics on a couple other varieties:
B. filifolia "Hidden Valley" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
B. rorida Taylor's Lagoon by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

B. gigantea awakens...
B. gigantea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
filifolia "Hidden Valley" reigns king of the long leaves at the moment. Betting "Pago Giant" will take over when it reaches similar height, and the perennials even more when they mature
B. filifolia "Hidden Valley" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And rorida has bloomed! I sit here wondering why "Taylor's Lagoon" is so problem-lacking for me though, when I've tried the "Lake Campion" form 3 times and only ever got as far as one sickly flower once; even the current plants still only consist of one possibly healthy plant and one that I doubt will survive...seeds thereby will not be possible without finding pollen for that one if so.
B. rorida "Taylor's Lagoon" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The back of the flower has a yellowish tint
And both surfaces of the petals themselves are glandular

Lastly, B. lamellata x gigantea starting to show the growth form the perennials are more known for. Very different looking even at such a young stage.
B. lamellata x gigantea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Back