What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rainbows in the Midwest

Do you use different soil media for the different species or do you use the same for all? I am playing with both lfs and sandy peat for B. liniflora and gigantea.

Do you use different soil media for the different species or do you use the same for all? I am playing with both lfs and sandy peat for B. liniflora and gigantea.

Primarily sandy peat mix for all, heavier on sand for the hybrids (though they're not doing well currently, and I may be moving them to a less humid location as I think that's the cause). I generally place a little LFS on the surface of the annual pots to ward off fungus when germinating, but currently I'm thinking it's had some detrimental effects on a few (save liniflora, which doesn't care what it's in).

Naturally, it was not until I was left with only one that my "Hidden Valley" filifolia decided to bloom...so I got a photo of the back of the flower. Now hoping the cuttings strike and another seed sprouts so I might finally get seed of this variety
B. filifolia "Hidden Valley" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And the second round of perennials are doing much better than the first; these are fairly old photos and a couple of the plants are pushing over 6" tall
B. lamellata x gigantea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Nice to see some healthy Byblis at this time of the year. Here my sole B. gigantea is weathering temps in the 40's in my garage waiting for warmer days. But I do have some B. lamellata seed waiting for spring.

Still looking for the species themselves; the gigantea seeds I had last year did not sprout/survive well, and I have no source for lamellata.

Good stuff!

I made attempts at many hybrids with the previous generation, so far only have confirmation that one worked...this is one that didn't :p
B. liniflora by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

That's pretty, what a nice contrast!

The one hybrid I know worked, because the plants are redder, a bit stockier, and have more serrated, darker purple flowers than liniflora (even if only just)...
B. liniflora x rorida "Taylor's Lagoon" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
B. liniflora x rorida "Taylor's Lagoon" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Far more exciting though:
Just the one plant this season so far, but there might be another plant preparing a bloom...in any case hopefully next spring I will see the rest follow suit so i can make seeds.

A nice-looking cross.

As I expect the seeds I started with are not first-generation either, I think the hybrids are fully fertile and the offspring will probably look just like the parents.

Back