What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what am I looking at?

9696178782_8e5e02aca5_z.jpg

cant figure out what species this is, google image search says "Drosera aquatico Castelo", but searching that phrase isnt going anywhere.
has anyone seen this species before and does it have a common name?

D. roundandstickya?

I'm guessing it's Brazilian. I'm no help, sorry.

Kinda looks like some pics of D. sessifolia I've seen

Possibly Drosera communis or maybe Drosera tentaculata ?

Last edited:
It's on a different forum with all the names, the whole thread was dedicated to D. sessifolia

Last edited:
Length of D. sessifolia petiole is greatly reduced. The ones in the pic too long

he seems to be right about it being sessifolia.... this is now 10x more confusing than I thought
here it shows the plant at sto antonio? wherever that is in brazil
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26452
3Dsessilifolia.jpg

in the top of the thread is says its at the infamous Chapada dos Guimarães (again not sure where that is in compared to 'sto antonio') where my sessilifolia came from
here are pics of it in cultivation

bestcarnivores-
Drosera_burmannii_Fisch_large.jpg

czplants-
drsessi.jpg

mine-
24ne1p1.jpg

thats what mine, and all other Chapada dos Guimarães sessillifolia's ive seen look like until now.

Last edited:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]

^another great example of what I have known sessifolia from that location to look like, but I'm also finding more and more pictures of this long petiole'd 'floating' plant under the name sessillifolia, most (if not all) are taken by the same guy Fernando Rivadavia .
http://cpphotofinder.com/drosera-sessilifolia-363.html

if you ctrl + f then search the phrase "riva" you will find quite a few pics of this strange floating/semi erect sessillifolia (if that is what it is) which all seem to be taken buy this guy fernando rivadavia. I would love some clarification.

Last edited:
Fernando is an active member on Terraforums. I sent him an email an perhaps he will join the discussion.

Odd that Fernando has those plants labeled as D.sessifolia, they look nothing like any other D.sessifolia seen in cultivation or with in situ photos. I wonder if there's been a revision on the group we missed. I'm sure he'll chime here soon.

Aquatic forms of Drosera often have distinct morphological differences such as stems, upright growth of the leaves and/or elongated petioles.

Hello everyone,

That's D.sessilifolia alright. The longer petioles on these specimens are clearly a result of them growing semi-aquatically. As for the overall size, well.... it's still a huge mystery to me why D.sessilifolia grow so large in the wild, but in cultivation resemble a weak D.burmannii. Have any of you ever tried fertilizing your D.sessilifolia? I have anecdotal evidence that in the wild they may prefer growing in areas with animal manure...

Funny enough, I grew D.sessilifolia in the early 90's but didn't know it was D.sessilifolia. It must've come up from seed unwittingly brought with other CPs collected in the wild. For years I just thought it was some pygmy form of D.burmannii with pink flowers that had hitched a ride with some seed packet I'd gotten from abroad. Every once in a while, I would find a plant in a random pot and they just looked SO different in cultivation than they did in the wild.

All the best,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. The "Sto Antonio" mentioned above is most likely Santo Antônio do Leverger in the state of Mato Grosso, western Brazil. This is an area just south of the city of Cuiabá, on the northern end of the Pantanal floodplain. I explored these lowlands a few times with my friend Marcos Cardoso who lives in Cuiabá and I'm almost sure we spread seeds of the D.sessilifolia we found there. The Chapada dos Guimarães is also close to Cuiabá, just NE of it, and is another place Marcos and I explored extensively. These highlands are packed full of interesting CPs, including D.sessilifolia. In fact this is where I had the displeasure of discovering that D.sessilifolia was an annual, back in 1992. Marcos had discovered it there in February (summer wet season), so during my winter school break (dry season) I took the 30h bus ride to Cuiabá only to find the site baked dry, with not even any remnants of dead D.sessilifolia. :p

Last edited:
intense.... I remember talking to someone else in pm about why drosera "floating" rarely produces flowers and the idea came up that because it grows in and alongside bodies of water it most likely is capable of taking in more nutrients from the roots than we expect. same goes for alot of aquatic utrics, they can be grown in fertilized water.
as for experimenting with it sessillifolia I haven't done this yet, but I have a burmanni "giant red" in my regia's fertilized ot that has been there for some years now with 0 feeding, and I think it is due to the fertilizer i give my regia
file.php
. with the close relation of the two, I feel like if burmanni can handle fertilizer there is a good chance sessillifolia can too. the whole reason I wanted to know what the sps in the original post was is because I have plans to setup a small aquarium for aquatic /semi aquatic cp's, so I will definitely be messing with my sessillifolia "chapada dos guimaraes" and seeing how it reacts to osmocote and elevated water levels

Last edited:
I've seen plants that appear differently between cultivated and wild specimens but, I've gotta say that D.sessifolia takes the cake ! It never even would have made my list of guesses had I stumbled across those in situ. Now to flood and fertilize .........

Back