What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bio

Plant Whisperer
Late last spring, I ordered some Utricularia sandersonii. Needless to say, there were other species received in addition to the U. sandersonii, primarily U. bisquamata. However, there was also a tiny little Drosera growing as a hitchhiker as well. Until today, I had considered it to just be another D. spatulata variant, but these small structures located at the crown, along with the plant having once had a diameter of ~1/2 of my current D. spatulata have me suspecting that this may in fact be a pygmy. The rosette of dried leaves is approximately .75" in diameter.

Are these consistent with pygmy Drosera?

1422655032649_zpswxf0sxud.jpg
(Sorry for the low quality image; I can barely see these things, let alone take a good picture with a lousy phone camera)

Last edited:
No, that appears to be hibernaculum.

Last edited:
From the shape of the dead leaves I can see your plant was probably D. tokaiensis, so a hibernaculum is possible with the rotundifolia background. A clearer picture would certainly help, as it may also be just new leaves growing out after the plant died back, as tokaiensis and spatulata both sometimes do.

Also vote hibernaculum because the leaves (I'm looking at the old dead ones) don't look right for a pygmy.

Back