What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting note on pollinators of Drosera Cistiflora

Hello Everyone!
So I had been reading an excellent book called _Carnivorous Plants of the Western Cape South Africa 2009_
and noticed something very peculiar and wanted to share it :-D. It points out the fact that Drosera Cistifloras natural pollinators are monkey bettles (fuzzy little things) and it also stated that between the two typical forms of Cistiflora (I never even knew there were two different forms :blush: ,the red form and the white/pink forms) Only the Green monkey beetle was pollinating the red cistifloras while the other forms only attracted black monkey bettles.... Why do you suppose this is? I'm not sure if this is true for other drosera or Drosera Cistiflora "Eitz"

Very interesting. It could be something as simple as distribution or as complex as pheromones.

Very interesting. It could be something as simple as distribution or as complex as pheromones.
Very possible, however for location both forms are found In the town of Darling...Pheromones could be a good explanation...

Since the plants grow in the same locales, I'd say pheromones or the UV spectrum of the flowers (maybe both ?) have a hand to play in this. Very interesting what ever it may be. I'd love to read more. Too bad that book doesn't seem to be available here in the US.

Back