What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis "Florida All Red" Winter Hardiness

I am wondering what the lowest "kill temperature" is for D. filiformis "Florida All Red." If I could keep these plants outside, I would be able to free up a significant amount of greenhouse space at home. I know they don't *need* a dormancy, but if the temps are low enough would they be forced into one? For owners of this taxa, what are the lowest temps you've successfully exposed them to?

I would be happy to sacrifice their visual appeal during winter if I also knew they would survive outdoors.

They seem to be able to take light frosts without much damage but a real freeze will knock them out. In my experience, the "Florida Red" form is about as hardy as var. tracyi.

Mine has gone to about 25 F with no problem, my D. tracyi went to about 14 F last winter without a hitch, so you might have to bring it in temporarily if there is a hard freeze in your area. It can probably take light freezes though down to about that range it just has to be dormant, if there is a early or late freeze and it isn't fully dormant or it is emerging from dormancy it will be damaged.

Last edited:
I had a 8" pot of D. filiformis (regular filiformis, "all red", and "Florida Giant") that inadvertently was exposed to weeks of temps +/- 5 Fahrenheit last Winter and all the plants survived. In fact, for whatever reason, the "All Red" and the "Florida Giant" both came back faster in the spring than the regular filiformis and the "All Red" was the only plant in the pot to flower.

Back