What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides - gemmae? what's happening?

Is this standard behavior from a scorpioides?

What are the 'gemmae'? Could I pluck one and plant it or does this produce seeds?

v9IIPiz.jpg

HMPruCG.jpg

Those things that look like fish scales or bumps in the crown are the gemmae. If I remember right when they are "ripe" they come off very easily. You should be able to use a moistened toothpick to pick them up one at a time. Been a while since I've grown pygmies though, so going off of memory.

its a live plantlet. Yep those are gemmae, when ripe you can just scrape them off, then sow them on top of the soil medium.
They "germinate" then grow into more dews

They're similar in appearance and behavior to what are called, "seed potatoes", which are small segments of potatoes, containing an eye or growth bud, used to start new potato plants. Gemmae are very much like seed potatoes, but much smaller, and for pygmae Drosera.

its a live plantlet. Yep those are gemmae, when ripe you can just scrape them off, then sow them on top of the soil medium.
They "germinate" then grow into more dews

That's what I did in the past with gemmae. Nudged them off to the top of the media and let them do their thing.

Those are gemmae. It's been long enough that the normal growth is resuming out of the center. If you leave the gemmae attached long enough and there is enough moisture or humidity they sometimes will "sprout" while still attached.

Popped em off easily and have them planted in a 50/50 peat/course silica sand with a 1 cm silica sand top layer. 22 gemmae total, will keep this updated with pics and will probably do a giveaway down the road.

Thanks!

Back