What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large Annual Dews

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
I have been trying to find at least one drosera and one byblis to grow outside
With my sarracenia but I cant decide what I should try.
I really like the Indica complex, and I was considering
B. Filifolia or lamellata. All perferrably annuals.

What are the dewiest/ largest sundews you guys have grown?

B. lamellata is a perennial species, not annual.
If you're looking to grow things with Sarracenia I wouldn't recommend annuals for the most part, but instead the species that they grow with. D. filiformis and tracyi are both rather showy species in that respect. But, if you're set on annual plants I would go for D. burmannii. D. indica and its relatives might be okay, but they tend to like sandier soils, and the Byblis seem to like sphagnous mixes or sandy soil.

I was just saying that I wanted to grow them along side my sarracenia, not with them. Just
More cps to add in the outdoor area. Im looking for the larger dewier annuals because I have
absolutely no space inside next winter. It would be nice to get a seasonal plant then restart next year.

Are all the byblis perrenial?

Most are annual. Only the closely related B. gigantea and B. lamellata are perennials.

However, several people have shown that you can grow Byblis significantly longer than one season given correct conditions and feeding.

For a large annual sundew, D. Indica :)

TO me, it looks like B. filifolia or Guehoi would be the larger and showier species of Byblis.
I will look into both of those more in the morning. And w03, I would grow them longer if
I had more space for them over winter lol.

They are indeed some of the most spectacular species of Byblis - and some of the harder to acquire ones too. :p

Don't forget that your growing season is going to be significantly shorter than a year, since most of these are truly tropical plants that will not like the cold temps of early spring/late fall at all. You're going to need to get flowers and seed in a pretty short time consistently from year to year.

Back