What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jonnyq

Supporter
Hi, all! So... talk about a lesson learned the hard way. My two-year-old daughter thought it would be oh so hilarious if she yanked out the ID tags on 8 of the 13 species of pygmy sundew whose gemmae I acquired for the first time this past fall.

In short, I have no idea which sundews and which, and since this is my first season growing them, to be honest, I'm just not familiar with these, and when you're comparing pictures online to what you see in the pot, it's surprisingly more difficult than I would have imagined to narrow them down... If anybody can (reasonably) definitely ID any of the 8 pots below, it would be immensely appreciated... (Saving even one would better than consigning them to the fate of "ID unknown.")

(If it falls to waiting for flowers, I might just write off the ones that I can't ID and restart the unaccounted-for species by getting new gemmae in the fall.)

If it helps, which I'm hoping it will, for those with larger pygmy collections than I, the tags that I found (7 out of 8) are as follows:

D. patens
D. leucoblasta
(type)
D. leucoblasta (Cranbrook)
D. callistos (Brookton)
D. pycnoblasta (pink flower)
D. platystigma 'A'
D. pedicellaris

Wide shot:
pygmymesswide.jpg

Closeups:
pygmymess12.jpg

pygmymess34.jpg

This should actually say "5" and "6" below, but it doesn't. :)
pygmymess56.jpg

pygmymess78.jpg

Can anybody safely match any of the 7 plant labels to the 8 pots?

Haha......oh man......good luck !

Looks like you have flowers coming up on some of them. D. callistos, D. leucoblasta and D. platystigma have orange flowers. D. callistos has a dark center on the flowers while D. platystigma have very wide, broad petals. D. patens has white flowers with central reddish streaks, D. pedicellis has white flowers with bright orange pollen.

@Cthulhi - tell me about it! :D

Thanks to NaN (yet again!)... :D Based on the flowers, #3 was D. patens, #4 was D. pedicellaris, cheers!

(Still not sure about the rest yet, hoping flowers come later this season, but probably not until next year...) :D

Cheers!

Back