What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Drosera species from Brazil: Drosera magnifica

According to the abstract of Gonella, Rivadavia and Fleischmann's article "The species is considered Critcally endangered according to the IUCN Red List categories and criteria".

If it gets Red Listed then it is likely to be added on Appendix One of the CITES species list.

Of course what follows is that if live propagants or portions of this species are to come into the US they would best come in soon. CITES listed species are devilishly difficult to import. I'm guessing our authors/discoverers have probably thought of this. I'm guessing that they also have considered that the CP hobby community is possibly the best way to increase the number of individual plants in the world. D. regia is very rare in the wild but there are many in cultivation.

By that reasoning there should be no cites regulations on any of the carnivorous plants.

Well I wouldn't hold my breath in waiting for this species to be available anytime soon. Fernando has mentioned before how difficult and expensive it is to get permits to collect and export plant material from Brazil.

The article mentions there were copious amounts of seed to be found in the capsules but no seedlings were observed. It is possible there is a very low fertility rate in the seeds.

By that reasoning there should be no cites regulations on any of the carnivorous plants.

If this were the whole of the issue, I agree. But there are other considerations such as illegal collecting and destruction of habitat that CITES listing can potentially have a positive effect on.

Last edited:
I was kidding guys!! lol

The article mentions there were copious amounts of seed to be found in the capsules but no seedlings were observed. It is possible there is a very low fertility rate in the seeds.

Sterile hybrid? Interesting idea. More likely a case of intense competition for space.

Heard elsewhere there were people who had germination of seeds (don't ask me the source as I don't remember off the top of my head), so could be an issue of space or, like with D. regia, special conditions are needed for seedlings to take hold (i.e. after a fire).
On top of that, if seeds were germinated, at least someone has this species in cultivation...

On top of that, if seeds were germinated, at least someone has this species in cultivation...

The mystery there certainly stimulates the imagination. ;)

Back