What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My drosera Aliciae is turning black

So out of all the aliciaes in this pot, two of them are turning black.

I may thinking it might be the hot temperature this two days. It's in the 90's

But this two sundews are in a spot where that catches the least sun.

What's going on?

Thank you

IMG_1987_zpsj3sytbiq.jpg

IMG_1988_zpssk90bzpd.jpg

IMG_1989_zpsxxeloc5w.jpg

D. aliciae is pretty heat tolerant unless the humidity is extremely low. I see tons of what appear to be mineral deposits on top of your media; perhaps that is causing some mineral burn.

Or to much water could be drowning them out or rotting them. Thats happened to me before. U using distilled water or Rain or RO water cause if not that could be the issue the cities water tends to be pretty harsh sometimes

Those came with the plant when I bought it. I use distiller water and the tray dried out at night. Should I repot?

I would repot, that soil does not look healthy. These guys are pretty hardy, so they should survive just fine. However, I'm somewhat concerned that a seller is distributing plants with obviously degraded media...I'll have to be on lookout in the future.

I'd suggest taking a leaf-cutting, in case the plant won't make even after repotting.

I wpuld try top watering, first, with purified water.

well lol too late, i already repotted. thanks everyone for your input, really appreciated.

Last edited:
Top water for a bit in ur new pot. I only top water my droseras till the tray at the bottom fills up a bit then let um do their thing. I actually did a test and it looks like (to me in my conditions) do better being top watered cause it allows air to get at the roots :) - but could be different results for others in other areas I'm assuming.
Goodluck

Last edited:
Back