What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all,
So my Drosera paradoxa is going into dormancy, and I don't have much experience with this. amphiron's crash course guide says to keep temperatures high but to let the soil dry out. However, I heat my terrarium by putting an aquarium heater in a jar of water; thus, humidity is always quite high, so the soil rarely dries out. How do I keep temps high but also let the soil to dry out? Thanks.
WolframOmega

Buxj6u2_APfickpbsk_Fq_Sv9_OO_g8_ZSfr86b_FQt_9ngv01g_QF6.jpg

It may help to seal the jar of water with a piece of aluminum foil and a wire tie/rubber band. I personally recommend avoiding dormancy if you can manage that. Sufficient light and photo period, round the clock temperatures kept high and moisture are factors to keeping petiolaris sundews from going dormant. From your photo I am not certain that the plant is starting to go dormant. Has it been moved in the last month or two into the place it is now growing?

Last edited:
I haven't moved it, but a couple days ago I accidentally overheated the enclosure (think REALLY hot) and my once pristine paradoxa along with some other plants pretty much wilted. Most are recovering, but I thought the paradoxa may have entered dormancy due to the extreme stress. Thanks for the help.

Good luck! If the other plants are recovering you may be o.k. Paradoxa is a pretty tough species.

Back