What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I feed my Drosera regia? Put it outside?

D. regia can survive hot temps and seem to like it. There have been a few heat waves in the bay area the last few months. Today is supposed to hit 102F. These plants range from 4-6 months old and have always been outside plants. The oldest plants measure at 7''. They were sown, forgotten, and now happily growing. I believe the nightly temperature drop allows them to withstand the sorchers we are experiencing.

20638394241_f11a1f2835_c.jpg

20443761970_970999eb45_c.jpg

Oh my god hallelujah Bay Area grower!!!! Exactly what I need. Alright I am putting mine outside! Thanks sir!

@ pokie22
I had issues with mine during the summer months. It was growing really well during winter and as summer got into full swing it died back to the roots.
I was advised that the roots do not take well to excessive heat and should try move it to something that keeps it cooler and maybe try refrigerated RO water.
I did that and it grew back, it's not doing a lot better during these hot months.

Last edited:
The plant should be acclimated to the heat slowly before tossing it outside. Fortunately, mine were started outside so I had no problems with this. Ideally one should find a growing location where they are happy. Preferably, where they get the gentle morning and early afternoon sunlight. I can not comment on how the full California sun will affect them. My plants are shaded from the strong afternoon sunlight and receive a few hours of direct sunlight. That being said, there are genetic differences among them. The weaker of the lot are stunted in their growth while the strongest thrive. To find a plant that thrives under particular conditions one might need to sow seeds and select for a vigorous grower.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The spot my plants stand in receives morning to early afternoon sunlight, I have also got some shade netting to protect them if need be.
Like you mentioned, I have seen some plants coping better with the sun and heat than others.

Last edited:
Back