What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew SOS

I cooked these 3 sundews under a light, and I also recently transplanted them bare root from %100 peat to 100% sphagnum.

There is no dew on them, and hasn't been for 2 weeks!

Can they not handle as much light as the VFTs?

mc6e0g.jpg

I see new growth in the center of each of your sundew plants. Bare root transplanting is traumatic for almost any plant and you can expect them to take awhile to recover, which it appears to me they are doing. They can certainly handle as much light as your flytrap but it might take them awhile to adapt to it, especially if they were grown in much dimmer light previously. Two weeks is not a long time as the recovery process could take weeks longer. I am assuming that the sundews are being grown under the same conditions (soil, moisture, etc.) that your healthy-looking flytrap is.

Just stressed, give it time:D like bluemax said

The dewless leaves will likely never produce dew again. A sudden change in conditions can cause the dew producing stalks to shrivel up. The new leaves should produce dew.

Yes, what everyone else said. The growth points are fine. The new leaves will love the new conditions. Patience is all you need. :)

Light also produces dew..so id give them some light.. My Dees are next to my VFTs and sometimes the tips burn a bit but never anything to kill um off. Goodluck be patient their stronger then u think

I put them in a death box (totally enclosed terrarium outside) I think the temperature got way too high!

This happened in only a day or two. Is there any chance the giant tropical Butterwort will come back from this?

Everyone was right the biggest Sundew especially was coming back with tons of new dew on the new growth before my fatal mistake.

ws4bxv.jpg

No, sorry. That's compost.
Check the roots of the D. capensis. If they look healthy, you might get a new plant from them, if you put them in good conditions, but I fear the chances that the roots are still healthy are not high.

Last edited:
Even the plastic making up the bottles themselves seems to have warped from the heat. Sorry friend, but I think that those plants are pretty much gone.

Eeek! Totally enclosed in hot weather with no air circulation...yikes! Sorry hun check the roots..but idk what could save these guys now

Also why would u put them in a 'death cube', just wondering cause the change in temps and humidity is enough to cause them to get even more furthur from acclimating to your temperatures where you keep them. Well we've all been here before I'm sure..maybe not as crispy but one way or another. Sorry hun about your plants better luck just leaving them be to get used to their surroundings and be patient next time :) Goodluck hun

Last edited:
I thought it was the best place for them at the time. Clearly enclosed terrariums outside are not a good idea. I imagine the temperature hit 120 or 130. The plastic is not melted! They are distorted from me squeezing them to fit more in my terrarium which does not have enough space. I have plenty of VFTs, and 2 very healthy baby Sundews that could eventually take their place. I am really sad about the giant Butterwort though. All I have now is a tiny Butterwort species with dew on only one side of its leaves. I'll keep these dead plants around for awhile and hope for the best. I found Sundews to be quite resilient one time I almost threw away a dead one but instead put it outside and several months later I noticed it grew a new plant =)

Back