What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera indica and Drosera hartmeyerorum

Information I've found on Drosera indica and Drosera hartmeyerorum is either scattered, outdated or contradicting. Would someone kindly post solid links, or give a quick type-up, about growing these species from seed to mature plants?

I was about to message a couple members about this, but I figured a topic on the matter (with collected and concise info) could help others :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread acro i hope u get good info to get those seeds started you won!
And the posts here can help myself and others aswell, thanks for the links Not a number!

Thanks Not a Number!
That's some great info to read through!

Thanks again KATastrophe!

I'm also looking for a simple care sheet, like the template used on GrowSundews website:

Media:
Media moisture:
Humidity:
Pot height:
Trapping speed:
Feeding:
Food size:
Plant dimensions:
Temperature:
Lighting/Photoperiod:
Dormancy requirements:
Flowers:
Propagation Techniques-
Seed:
Leaf-cuttings:
Root cuttings:
Divisions:
Any other facts of interest or importance:

Last edited:
These 2 (3) plants got their starts in pots that hand pings. They were surprises. They've been growing on a window sill, between pane and screen, getting an eastern exposure. I recently moved them to the grow rack, in a mini-greenhouse setting, where these species have previously thrived. Both plants have a short seed-to-mature plant. They need to be fed early and often.

Last edited:
Your very welcome Acro for hosting the giveaway, but really the thanks mostly goes to Jimscott for the indica and dragonseye for the hartemeyorum seeds! I was just lucky to have extras to share from when i sowed what i got from our trades together :)

Apologies on the tardiness of my reply.

Apparently some hart seeds stowed aways in some Utrics I got from Jim 2 springs ago. Not sure how long after I had received the utrics when I spotted some sort of unidentified Drosera sprouting. These turned out to be hartmeyerorum. The plants summered outside on my balcony -- unobstructed SE exposure. They received full sun from 8am to around 12/1 pm after which they were somewhat shaded overhead by other plants though I imagine still received a great deal of reflected light off the glass doors of my door wall. Once temps entered the 40's they were brought indoors where they wintered on a lighted plantstand. Winter temps ranged from the upper 50sF by night and mid 70sF by day. RH was 30 or less which did not seem to bother them one whit. Once temps warmed up in the late spring, they went outside once more. Plants continued to grow and began blooming. Blooming continued through the summer. My last plant from that initial group died just a couple of weeks ago.

Seed production is prodigious but germination, for me at any rate, has been rather erratic. I have had seedlings appear in pots where I never sowed them. Whether these were other stowaway seeds or simply ones that had somehow gotten carried by an errant breeze to a pot 5ft away with an obstacle course of various plants in between, I have no idea. From the same sowing, I currently have some plants that are 2-3 inches tall to others that are only about 1cm -- all in the same pot.

The media the utrics came in was, I believe, peat and coarse silica sand. I currently have plants in pure sphag as that is what I had on hand. Further investigation utilizing different media is warranted.

As annuals, there should be no dormancy.

Back