What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forked sundew help?

Hi, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with weather or not my forked sundew needs dormancy or not. I've been told that it does by some people, yet others say it does not need it.
Please help me before it dies...​

Most of them do. What species is this? I know all of mine went dormant recently.

Last edited:
Even if it's a form that needs dormancy I highly doubt it'll die from skipping one... D. binata is tough as nails.

Only the multifida var. extrema grows year round I believe

Many of them will grow year round, but if given the right seasonal clues they'll fall asleep for you as well. Cool weather, shorter light exposure, and they'll die back. Even multifida extrema can survive over winter if sheltered, though it might not go "dormant" per se.

OkAy. Someone told me to put it in a ziplock bag with pine needles for its dormancy set up.

A plastic bag isn't necessary, just sink the pot into the ground and mulch it heavily. Sealing the pot off completely can cause issues with rot and stagnation.

What if I put the plant in a cold garage? Also is water needed if the plant is in a garage during dormancy?

What if I put the plant in a cold garage? Also is water needed if the plant is in a garage during dormancy?

That should be fine for your purposes. Keep the media slightly moist but not wet.

And make sure the pots soil doesn't dry and freeze.. I've had it happen and it wasn't good..

Last edited:
Back