What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

Afternoon everyone from England,
My first year growing CPs,could you tell me about water(how much) should be in(tray) coming into and during Dormancy and light?Will it stay the same or die back
d5d35445bbe70ec87b79f3d13436cebd.jpg
also is the pot too small and best time to repot
Many thanks
Stu

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The plant you have, Drosera capensis, is not a temperate plant and does not go dormant - in fact, expect it to die if exposed to temperatures below freezing for any extended amount of time. Treat it as a subtropical/tropical.

The pot size you have right now appears fine, although D. capensis will tolerate repotting at pretty much any time, if that's the route you want to take. I don't really see a need for that, though. No need to mess with a good thing.

Last edited:
That is Drosera capensis and does not require dormancy. It's a tropical species from South Africa.

As others have said, it's D. capensis, a subtropical dew that doesn't go dormant. If by some accident it gets too cold, it'll grow back as long as the roots don't get killed.

I'd just bring it inside and put it under a bright light.

Just do as yr doing and itll be fine through winter as long as you dont get it frozen or something... These are very weedy and tough CPs and can be pretty hard to kill but if it does for some reason die back it'll most likely grow back from the roots if they havent gotton harmed/killed. This is a very good beginner plant you shouldnt have to fuss over it much. Goodluck

Last edited:
Where are you growing it and why do you have 4 stakes in there? The white substance at the bottom of the stakes is odd, what water are you using? As for repotting, the pot it is in will hold 5 - 9 plants of the same size quite comfortably, more if you wish, it's down to aesthetics.

Thanks a lot

The stakes were how it was posted,don't like to upset her to much,but will take them out! Thank you all again,if I can be of any help regarding pubs(that's all I know about) cheers Stu

Back