What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok...someone here was nice enough to trade me some non cp seeds for some cp seeds. im a noob if you don't know. I only have a couple neps and a purp. He sent me some sundew seeds and I really want this to work. He sent drosera intermedia, d spatulata (it looks like he wrote Beenak Victoria s. Au), and a d tokaiensis. what I was wondering is if I can keep them all in the same conditions...from germinating to full grown. Im planning on using peat moss and pool filter sand with a few perlite in it.. is this ok? if not what do you recommend? also is it cool to germinate them under 2700k and 6500k lights in a tank? keep the soil wet at all times from what I did read. then when they start to pop out of the soil im planning on putting them in my green house with no artificial light. is that ok? also does the coffee method work on sundews like I heard it does on neps? please give me an general info you can on how I can treat them in similar ways(if I can) thank you and have a great day------------------matthew

ps do they NEED to go dormant like I heard vft do? cause I can always bring them in during winter and put them right back under my lights.

Last edited:
D. intermedia (unless it's from a tropical locality) requires winter dormancy, D. spatulata and D. tokaiensis are subtropicals that do not. During the growing season at least they can probably be kept together. Drosera are generally more sensitive to dissolved solids in their water than Nepenthes, so I really wouldn't recommend feeding them through the roots - it's far too easy to overdose, not to mention all the algae/mold you'll probably get.

thank you for the input

Last edited:
They should be fine growing in whatever conditions you sprouted them in. However, moving them so early from the terrarium to the greenhouse may be too much for week-old seedlings. If you want them growing in the greenhouse, try and germinate them there. Otherwise leave them in the terrarium until they're a little bigger (like around 1/4-3/8" diameter).

The D. intermedia is from Easton, MA and so is a temperate form, needs 4 weeks cold stratification (either put the seeds in a wet paper towel in a baggie or on the surface of a small pot of soil and stick them in the fridge) and will go dormant in winter. The other two are subtropical, as mentioned, and all have no issues growing either under lights or under straight sunlight (if acclimated). Do not soil fertilize Drosera in any manner, feed the leaves with insects or the appropriate dilute fertilizers

Back