What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pest in Drosera Regia Soil

Hi,

I just bought a Drosera Regia and noticed tiny bugs crawling in its soil. I don't know what they are and am afraid that they might harm the plant or spread to other nearby pots. Some grew out of the soil and are now stuck in the water of the tray. Only those seem to jump around a little when the water is shaken (I do not think these are springtails as they are not white and most do not jump at all when disturbed by water or prodding. The few that did jump were adults, but did not jump as high as springtails do), and they may have wings. I've recently noticed a few little black gnats in the plant area and wonder whether these bugs may have matured into gnats? I've also seen very tiny but slightly long white worms in this plant's water tray-- are they relevant? Can you identify any of these insects? What should I do?

Sounds like fungus gnats.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fun...Xd8oLKAhUG7GMKHYPHAWwQsAQITw&biw=1370&bih=793

Quite a few ways to control them, if that's what they are. My favorite is using Bti - Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis easily found in the US as "Mosquito Dunks". Just break off a small chunk, float it in a container of water overnight and water your plants with the treated water. Do this for once a week for 6-8 weeks and no more fungus gnats for a long while. You could put a small chunk in your water trays too.

http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/fungus-gnat-control/

You'll need to post a photo. Sounds like there might be a combo of things going on here, possible fungus gnats and either sow bugs or springtails (not all springtails are white and not all springtails jump). In any event, a photo will still be helpful.

Last edited:
I've had soil mites in my pots that don't do anything to the plants, I don't know if it's your case

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Sounds like fungus gnats.

fungus gnats - Google Search

Quite a few ways to control them, if that's what they are. My favorite is using Bti - Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis easily found in the US as "Mosquito Dunks". Just break off a small chunk, float it in a container of water overnight and water your plants with the treated water. Do this for once a week for 6-8 weeks and no more fungus gnats for a long while. You could put a small chunk in your water trays too.

How to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats | Planet Natural

Would the Mosquito Dunks be safe to use in my watering trays? I have a huge problem with the Mosquito's breeding in my trays and constantly have to replace the water to remove the larvae.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me stepping in - yes, the dunks should control the mosquito larvae as well. They have the big advantage of being fairly broad spectrum and yet non-toxic to people and pets.

Yes, Bti is very effective for the control of mosquitoes - it is sold for that purpose. The other strain Bt is effective for the control of moths and butterflies.

Or resident entomologist (@Kulamauaiman) could give us more information as to which orders/families of insects that are most vulnerable to treatment by Bt.

Bt produces a substance (toxin) that binds with the gut lining of the insects and blocks the intake of nutrients. The larvae essentially starve to death.

I also use the mosquito dunks for fungus gnat control and it is quite effective. This product also comes in a smaller form called Mosquito Bits.

Awesome stuff, will order some and have it sent to me. Now the big wait.

I like using the Mosquito bits. I sprinkle a few "bits" into each of my water trays. I also put some directly into my watering jugs too. Works great on the carnivorous plant collection as well as any other houseplants.

Back