What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One of my pots of D. burmannii "Green" has suddenly started to look irritated, and I can't pinpoint exactly why. Nothing has changed about its conditions for several months - 75F day temps, 60F night, growing in the same tank as my other subtropical 'dews (D. sessilifolia, other forms of D. burmannii, D. hartmeyerorum, D. nidiformis, D. finlaysoniana, etc.) which are all happy. I know that it would probably prefer temperatures a bit warmer, but I don't think this is the problem since they've been growing fine for several months, and all of my other D. burmannii are healthy. The media is fairly fresh, no more than 6 months old. My first thought was that they've been exposed to excessively high TDS, but all of the plants that they share a water tray with do not show symptoms. It is also only the larger plants that appear to be affected.

IMAG1618_zpsu7fyfjbh.jpg

Could it be at the end of its life, they're annuals and you say only the large ones are looking bad

Could it be at the end of its life, they're annuals and you say only the large ones are looking bad

Hmm...I thought about that too, but seeing as they're barely 6 months old and none have flowered yet I didn't really consider it.

Several other possibilities come to mind. Sometimes the upper layer of soil in the pot has become dry while it is sitting in a watering tray and a little occasional top watering will bring the plants around. Or perhaps this particular form of burmannii is less tolerant to mineral content in water or to lower temps. But I agree that age could also be the issue.

Last edited:
I have grown burmannii for far over year, but I did feed my plants often. Try top watering as mentioned by bluemax and if they do get dew again try feeding.

Any signs of aphids?

Any signs of aphids?

No, no aphids - or pests in general, for that matter - at all.

It doesn't seem that there's a definitive answer. For now, I'll flush the soil, top water more often, and feed frequently. Thanks everyone!

The plants have all recovered, so age probably wasn't the issue. I thoroughly flushed the soil and applied a diluted fertilizer solution directly to the leaves - at least one of those actions seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the input everyone!

IMAG1644_zpswvmgqpyz.jpg

'Happy to hear about your success! Maybe all of your actions contributed. :)

I've had burmannii that looked pretty bad perk up after receiving food, without any other special treatment...this is a species that likes a lot of food.

I've had burmannii that looked pretty bad perk up after receiving food, without any other special treatment...this is a species that likes a lot of food.

ravenous beasts they are indeed :spidersmile:

Back